Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sal_the_man

Sal's GS500 Thread

Four score and seven years ago I was left with a dilemma to turbo-swap my MR2 or to sell it. The temptation for the 3SGTE was great but so was my desire to finish school without disruption.

With gritted teeth, I sold the mid-engine machine rendering me without my own car. The I30 was sold at that point too.

For the 2014-2015 school year my time was dedicated to boring biology classes, window shopping on craigslist, and of course creating the on-campus spring meet. Those hours, days, weeks, and months granted a camaraderie to be formed between the CPT officers and time to forge a pathway for future endeavors

But there was still a void inside of me.

Come Summer 2015 I'm left with three vacant months until school starts. No internships or major-related jobs from years prior. Not much left from school spending. Deja' Vu? Ha it's just too coincidental.

The moment I straddled a Suzuki DR650 I knew a motorcycle was next to be owned. The car dreams of ripping around summit point and fedex field were well-lived and a different experience was to be had.

One year ago

A motorcycle? Really Salman, can you handle two-wheels? What about all the new cars you can try. Miatas, E30s, Civi - Nopeee. We're doing this Sal. All or nothing.

And so the quest began. It started with signing up for the MSF course in July. Then gradually an inventory of motorcycle gear occupied the right hemisphere of my closet. Money from work matriculated into my bank account and the selection of bikes was narrowed. Ah nice we're set.

But as with most things in life there was one major roadblock.

The parents.

My father was vehemently against the idea upon discovering my gear. The mother was merely putting up with it, letting it slide by in the meantime. Both knew I was capable of buying a motorcycle since I bought the MR2 in the past. But would I follow up against their wishes? Even I was ambivalent about the answer.

Anyways there were three bikes to choose from for under $2000. The Ninja 250, Ninja 500, and the GS500E.

Ninja 250

2013-kawasaki-ninja-250r-2_600x0w.jpg

Ninja 500

kawasaki-ninja-500r-5_600x0w.jpg

Suzuki GS500E

daihatsu-charade-1984-625551.jpg

I had rode a face-lifted Ninja 250 at the CPT BBQ and was quite impressed with the overall package. It was very lightweight, looked good, and had a linear power delivery. However, I was coming from the world of sub-200 wheel horsepower cars and knew the 250 would quickly bore me.

The Ninja 500 then became more appealing. It had proper power while still managing a low weight. But most were out of my budget and I was too lazy to test ride one.

Then came the GS500.

One day Max sent me a link to a GS500E listed for $1500. It had 16,000 miles on it but had maintenance records tracing to 2002. The bike looked clean and my research found that it's a quick, reliable motorcycle. So I said why not?

E-mailed the owner and eventually met in person. Oh yeah...this is MUCH cleaner than that ratchet Bandit 600 I saw earlier. It feels light, the controls are crisp, and it didn't seem to hide anything like its owner. So he let me go on a test drive with nothing but a helmet, gloves, and a charming attitude (I had forgotten my gear). As soon as I was out of his sight, pinned it...

hqdefault.jpg

A smile grew on my face as the needle charged towards 11,000RPM. This bike was quick but didn't scare me as the inline-four motorcycles did. Man, I could pin this for the entire test ride! And I did lol.

Upon my return, I negotiated a successful $1300 price tag and boom it was settled! We agreed that I'd return in two weeks to pay him in full - when I had the funds to knock out insurance, registration, inspection in one go. I didn't have as much money as other people do but was not ashamed of it. It became a point to prove myself that nothing can hold me back - even a tight budget.

Oh sheet. My parents!

How will they react? Will they kick me out of the house? Will my dad be jealous of how cool I am and hate me forever? These were questions that rung through my head for the two weeks I waited. But there is one quote that always struck close to home.

"Some people die at 25 and aren't buried until they're 75" - Benjamin Franklin

Yes, riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Yes, I can die or be seriously injured. But if it's approached with caution and common sense it'll be an experience I can share in the future.

So I bought the bike.

4fa53dd8a7145.png

David (dpodloch) reassured me that I wouldn't become roadkill on our ride home. Fear and anxiety caused my hands to shiver on the throttle. And the now previous owner gave a smile and the obligatory "ride safe"

Gee thanks for the tip!! Now nothing will happen to me HUH?!

tumblr_m5cw224Ips1qcwic6.jpg

The E320 and GS500 strolled on over to the I-270N on ramp. We took the left turn onto the ramp and caught up to highway speeds. "Oh lord, here we go 'deep breaths, DEEP BREATHS SAL! YOU CAN MAKE IT!!! CHARGEEEE!!!!!!!' "

And the GS performed in elegant glory. Okay that may be an exaggeration but I was probably the coolest "cat" on the road. Okay that may be biased but I don't care about your opinion.

It was awesome.

On the way home

11700726_873692982679737_704890040320233

PEACE SIGN!

11160679_873692986013070_660844787037291

That sun

11411825_873692979346404_920982824094974

Backroads of Middletown'

11717402_873692976013071_632351611474886

The wind pushed me to an upright position. The bike was breathing at a healthy 7000RPM. And the testosterone was pumping. I'm riding my first motorcycle home on the freeway! This was a make it or break it moment for a newblet like me.

Eventually both of us bounced up that driveway in Middletown and shared happiness as we made it. As David took the GS for a test drive, I thought about the smoothest way to break the news to the rents. You see they were not home. They would either come back to a bike the garage OR be expecting one with my notification.

So I sent my mother a text message. Yeah THAT'LL DO!

wp_ss_20150716_0001_zpstg03dylc.jpg

Mannn am I smooth as silk :thumbsup

So there I was. On my way to drop off David in Rockville then meet my ill-fate at home.

"This is going to be rough. Dad hates motorcycles. Mom is going to have a heart attack. Both of them are...OH WAIT DON'T CARE. JUST BOUGHT A BIKE!", I told myself in preparation of the verbal berating.

Prior to that last stretch home on I-270 I stopped by my friend Alireza's house at 2200 or so hours. His parents were also subject to the surprise purchase of a Suzuki motorcycle.

His family was welcoming, yet curious why Alireza let me in so late. Then he dropped news that I purchased a bike without fore-mentioning it to the parents. Their initial reaction was shock but reassurance that time heals nearly everything. After all, his father reacted by buying a motorcycle himself! I had my doubts but their offer of a klondike bar temporarily ignored those thoughts.

As I was exiting their house, Alireza offered me an extra bed in case things went sour. I scoffed at the idea imagining it wouldn't be that bad.

But boy was I wrong.

-2300 hours +/- some due to anxiety

I enter the house and it's the scene of a horror film with me as the lead actor. Laced in motorcycle gear, my movements were less than conspicuous (sarcasm). My older brother caught whiff of my carbureted cologne and signaled this by quickly making and averting eye-contact with me.

Sheet.

"Bro, how mad are they?"

"Pretty mad." -Makes and averts eye contact again-

To be honest, I couldn't help but laugh about what was going to happen upstairs. No matter what this conversation, erm roast, was going to be epic from one parent or the other...and surprisingly it was my mother who laid the verbal smack down.

It wasn't a roast on the motorcycle purchase. It was about everything that was wrong with me. Dang mom, those insults are a throwback to 2012! Obviously they also pointed out how I "did this behind their back." Well, I won't lie about that - yes it was purchased without their knowledge. But hey! That was the ONLY way the bike would integrate into our family.

My father on the other hand looked stupefied. His facial expression echoed that of a man who raised an idiot for a son. A smiling idiot :)He mostly said "You're wasting your time...should have thought about it with a sober state...REALLY, A TEXT MESSAGE?!"

It was a disrespectful move and I'm mature enough to admit it. But there were many clear signs of approaching it responsibly - especially since I was also paying for insurance and registration. They've always been there to help me out but it's been a personal goal of mine to become independent early on. Whether it's with $1,300 or $13,000, it's an empowering feeling to work for and earn something you want.

The comments and criticism carried on into the morning. It made me truly realize that I severely underestimate their physical stamina. Content was mostly the same which somewhat bored me, but they accomplished in making me feel somewhat guilty. Was thinking about the negative effect of my actions, but then saw a picture Dave sent me.

10995632_873692972679738_235820646943482

HELL YEAH, MOTORCYCLE

I rode on my bro's bike for the first time today, it was fun! However I only liked it when there was no traffic and it was daylight. Nighttime plus traffic makes me anxious, plus the fact that my bro thought it was a good idea to ride in that tiny 1/4th of a lane on the far right offered a highway and we went over an unforeseen bump and I flew at least one feet out of my seat. <_<

I rode on my bro's bike for the first time today, it was fun! However I only liked it when there was no traffic and it was daylight. Nighttime plus traffic makes me anxious, plus the fact that my bro thought it was a good idea to ride in that tiny 1/4th of a lane on the far right offered a highway and we went over an unforeseen bump and I flew at least one feet out of my seat. <_<

LOL that's hilarious. So convinced to buy one of your own?

LOL that's hilarious. So convinced to buy one of your own?

My palms were sweating a lot too lol. It's fun nonetheless. Yes, I would definitely buy one but an automatic one and I'd only ride it on empty streets and stay within the speed limit. -_-