Maniac Muslim Forums
Spider

The Multiverse Hypothesis

Why am I using Haku's definition? Because he's a physicist.

How do you know he's a physicist? Are you really a physicist, Haku?

Also how is it tautological.

this is one universe where the physical constants have their specific values.

It's tautological because you're simply stating a fact which is already known. It's the same as saying, "This is the one universe where the conditions are specifically what they are."

The multiverse says that every universe exists where all the constants have different values. That's the hypothesis. It adds something because it completely changes how we think about the special status of this universe.

Again, you need to provide a quote from a credible link which supports that definition.

And still, that would say nothing about the status of our universe unless the measure problem is solved, which no one knows how to approach in the first place.

how do you not know I am a physicist?

Anyways guys, seriously go watch Guth's first 2 lectures (no math needed). That should put an end to this thread. If spider still hold some kinda weird need to attack multiverse, then so be it. Guth's last slide in 2nd lecture sums up how emotionally detached working physicists can be while working on this multiverse thing for years upon years.

how do you not know I am a physicist?

Well, I don't know if you're a physicist or not, but superman said that you are. So, I want to know if that is true or not.

Also, what is your definition of the multiverse hypothesis?

I have a phd in particle physics and did research work at cern. I don't know if that makes me a physicist or not - considering I don't work in physics any more.

seriously, go watch the lectures. My definition is Guth's definition (hehehe)

I have a phd in particle physics and did research work at cern. I don't know if that makes me a physicist or not - considering I don't work in physics any more.

Sounds more like a research fellow, not a physicist.

My definition is Guth's definition (hehehe)

I don't think you really agree with Guth's definition, unless you changed your mind (hehehe).

Guth describes the multiverse as an infinite one, containing infinite universes, where the constants are tuned to any and all possible values:

"To account for our incredible luck, leading cosmologists like Alan Guth and Stephen Hawking envision our universe as one of countless bubbles in an eternally frothing sea. This infinite 'multiverse' would contain universes with constants tuned to any and all possible values, including some outliers, like ours, that have just the right properties to support life." - Quanta Magazine

The sentence that I underlined matches with superman's definition except for the infinite part, because he doesn't think that there needs to be an infinite amount of universes in order to explain fine-tuning. So, Guth's definition (or opinion, I should say) is still not the same as superman's.

Your comments, too, doesn't seem to match with Guth's take on it, because you wrote:

"There needn't be infinite universes like ours nor infinite universes at all. multiverse at its basic form only needs large number of universes to explain fine tuning."

"there is no infinite number of parameters that needs fine tuning. only few hundred at best."

Anyways guys, seriously go watch Guth's first 2 lectures (no math needed). That should put an end to this thread.

But some pages ago, you attacked Guth's opinion about the two-headed cow thing, saying that these scientists are merely expressing their feelings. You wrote: "Those scientists are merely expressing their feelings. What will decide the validity of the hypothesis would be not feelings towards cows, but experimentation."

So, previously, you said that he was merely expressing his feelings about cows, and now all of a sudden you're telling us to listen to his lectures? Gotta love the irony.

I gotta love this thread. Haku just casually told y'all to end this thread, lolol. :lol:

p.s.: I have no idea what you guys are talking about. It just reminds me of my statistics course in college and how I never really wrapped my head around complex probability. Carry on. -_-

On 8/14/2015 at 0:07 AM, Summer.Haze said:

I gotta love this thread. Haku just casually told y'all to end this thread, lolol.

This thread is like the science version of "The Roles of Mother and Father" thread. :P