Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mo-

The Martian

Salam Alaikum fellow MMers. In a recent holiday of mine to Turkey, I ended up spending well over 13 hours getting home, which gave me more than enough time to complete the audiobook "the Martian" by Andy Weir with time to spare. I realised through this that it took less time to conduct Mars missions than it did for me to get home. Regardless, it was a rather entertaining book. The audiobook is available for free through the Audible free trial, but I decided to buy it through the iTunes Store for about 16 GBP. It was certainly worth the cost, given that it provided me with much needed constant entertainment for the majority of my journey.

The Martian focuses on several themes, most notably the human will to live, and secondly the human drive to pursue knowledge. It goes into quite some detail regarding the science behind the story, in particular the physics, botany and chemistry, whilst providing interesting plot twists, solutions to them and all the while exploring the desire for semblance to a routine that is inherit in most humans. The most notable part of the story however, was the way it was told. The narration was absolutely beautiful, given that the majority of the story was in first person, recorded in the format of audio logs through which the astronaut communicates with you about his day, with occasional logs occurring more than once in a day.

Other wonderful things to look forward to when listening to the book include small quips to nerdy culture, references to the 1970s and a lot of hilarious dialogue. I highly recommend this audiobook to anyone, especially if you have a long journey ahead of you.

Overall, I give the audiobook at 7.8/10. Whilst it was a great audiobook, it did have some parts that left me less excited than others, and certain parts had me drifting off into space. There are some parts which are anti-climatic, but for the most part it is an excellent audiobook. I have yet to see the film, but I will probably watch it inshallah.

If any of you watch it, let me know what you think!

Where did you holiday in Turkey?

I haven't had the time to read a decent book lately.

I went to Istanbul!

Cool. Did you have fun? Istanbul is a great place.

For sure! Was a fun trip, lovely mosques.

I should have known The Martian was based off of a novel! How many original films are there these days? Anyway, I saw The Martian in theatres. It's worth the watch.

Did you stay in Istanbul for the whole trip or venture out to another city? Some mosques are beautiful.

MC - You sound really upset that the film is based on a book. I'd be more upset at watching Matt Damon attempt to act.

I should have known The Martian was based off of a novel! How many original films are there these days? Anyway, I saw The Martian in theatres. It's worth the watch.

Very few original films, and they're usually rip offs of previous stories. I am looking forward to Star Wars Episode 7 though.

Did you stay in Istanbul for the whole trip or venture out to another city? Some mosques are beautiful.

MC - You sound really upset that the film is based on a book. I'd be more upset at watching Matt Damon attempt to act.

Just Istanbul. Thoroughly enjoyed the sightseeing. Actually managed to pray maghreb in the Blue Mosque, kind of a bad decision because the decoration was so alluring it distracted me during my prayer.

I was expecting a total freakout/devasted/lost all hope scene from Damon in the movie but I didn't see it from him. He seemed pretty lackadaisical to the fact that he is stuck on Mars.

Very few original films, and they're usually rip offs of previous stories. I am looking forward to Star Wars Episode 7 though.

Just Istanbul. Thoroughly enjoyed the sightseeing. Actually managed to pray maghreb in the Blue Mosque, kind of a bad decision because the decoration was so alluring it distracted me during my prayer.

Yeah eh...

Have yall read Hatchet?

Yeah eh...

Have yall read Hatchet?

Haven't even heard of it. Is it good?

Haven't even heard of it. Is it good?

Oh man, it's amazing bro! At least that how I remembered it. I read that book in grade 7. It's a similar survival type of story.