Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Troll Czar

Study Quran

Review:

http://muslimmatters.org/2015/12/14/the-study-quran-a-review/

The challenge to provide accessible translations of the Qur'an has not been unique to academic environments. Originally published in 1934, Abdullah Yusuf Ali's The Holy Qur'an: Translation and Commentary became a de facto standard in English-speaking communities well into the 90s. Though useful as an early translation, Yusuf Ali's work was fraught with problems. The language of Yusuf Ali's translation mimicked Victorian prose, employing terms that were not comprehensible to the majority of congregants. In addition to the linguistic shortcomings, the footnotes contained serious errors, particularly in earlier versions (later revisions eliminated much, though not all, of the truly egregious content). Finding alternatives, of course, was not easy back then. The most available alternative was perhaps Pickthall's The Meaning of the Glorious Qur'an. Unfortunately, Pickthall, like Yusuf Ali, suffered from what Khaleel Muhammad described as “archaic prose and lack of annotation” (see Muhammad, 2005).

The SQ approaches 2,000 pages in full. It is, according to the authors, the product of a decade of work, and the academic rigor is apparent after even a cursory reading. The exegetical commentary of the SQ references forty-one commentaries in total, with medieval commentaries constituting the predominant points of reference. Of the commentators cited, Ibn 'Āshūr and Ṭabāṭabā'ī are the most recent (both authors having died in the 20th century).

Nice review, and worth a good reread. Looking at the recent book ‘Between Heaven and Hell: Islam, Salvation, and the Fate of Others,’ the issue seems nuanced.

I Link Tours team has an incredible job in organizing and managing everything possible during hajj 2015. I had a wonderful experience with them and I will definitely recommend others to use your services for this great cause.

I won't trust a company who either spams on purpose or doesn't understand english.

I won't trust a company who either spams on purpose or doesn't understand english.

Says Mr. Impeccable Grammar.

:P