Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
abdulmajeed31

Haram Foods in Islam

Summary of what Allah says in Surat Al Maa’ idah:

Forbidden are food for you of dead animals (al-maytatah) blood of any animal, flesh of a swine‚ and meat of that which has been slaughtered in name of other than Allah‚ or has been slaughtered for false deities, etc. And, on which Allah’s name isn’t manifested while slaughtering‚ also the animals that have been killed by stragling or by a vicious blow‚ or by a plunging fall‚ or by goring of the horns‚ and that which has been eaten partially by any wild animal.

Any cattle which even though is permitted‚ but not slaughtered according to Islamic rules or is dead already is haram. Halal Animal that has eaten impure food is prohibited and so is its milk‚ until the impure food leaves its system. Swine’s flesh and blood are strictly prohibited. Also is the animal slaughtered in the name of anyone‚ but Allah ﷻ.

Food and drinks that contain narcotics or intoxicated ingredients are Haram in Islam .i.e. Alcohol‚ heroine and other drugs. Pig and any food that contains pig meat is Haram.

Animals that have fangs and birds that have talons are also prohibited to consume in Islam.

Resource: Blog Dawn Travels

What is the ruling on gelatin?

You get gelatine that is plant based.

Pig gelatine aside, if the animal slaughtered is halaal then the gelatine would be halaal. Personally though, prefer to avoid because the halaal organisations, in SA, who do certify bovine gelatine halaal have not explained their process well enough for me to be happy. And since it just stops me from eating bad sweets I'm not bothereed :P

Thank you sweet cubster!

I have run into muslims who believe its okay to eat the sweets containing pig gelatine. They claim

That the process of gelatine completely eliminates traces from pork.

I personally too stay away from that.. But i do eat bovine gelatine, even though it might not be labelled as halal.. I should stop doing that.

Thank you sweet cubster!

I have run into muslims who believe its okay to eat the sweets containing pig gelatine. They claim

That the process of gelatine completely eliminates traces from pork.

I personally too stay away from that.. But i do eat bovine gelatine, even though it might not be labelled as halal.. I should stop doing that.

There is a discussion on how gelatine is formed. Where the process changes it so much that it is not considered as what the original thing was once.

Eg. Grapes are halal to eat. But the process it goes through, where it becomes Khamr eventually makes it totally impermissible. Vice versa with some other stuff too.. You get me?

Yeah I get you, but then is it permissible to eat candy containing pig gelatine? I assume that it is, but would like you to share some proper evidence.... Truthfully, Id probably still not eat it even though they say its halal, but its just good to know...

Yeah I get you, but then is it permissible to eat candy containing pig gelatine? I assume that it is, but would like you to share some proper evidence.... Truthfully, Id probably still not eat it even though they say its halal, but its just good to know...

If you can get candy floss without pig gelatine, then why would you go for the one with pig gelatine? I mean for me personally, anything that contains pig in it will just be yucky personally.

Whereas, do we have that same mentality when it comes to things that has alcohol in it. For eg. The argument that lucozade has like 0.15% alcohol in it. Would we think its yucky in any way?

An old man refused heparin and insulin. Basis it comes from pork. So I started to wonder, when does a pig stop being a pig. If I took a pig, and tossed it into a wood chipper and all that came out I put into a large barrel. A barrel of pig. It's still pork. If i put the contents of that barrel into a ditch and waited, the bugs and worms consume it and excrete what wasn't needed, is that excrement a pig? If I took that excrement and put it into a pot and placed a tomato seeds on top and grew a nice red tomato, is that a pig?

by now you should be able to answer such questions your self by looking up reliable islamic site.

Whereas, do we have that same mentality when it comes to things that has alcohol in it. For eg. The argument that lucozade has like 0.15% alcohol in it. Would we think its yucky in any way?

not every thing that contains alcholohol is automatically haram. it depends on the madhab, source of alhohol and usage and purpose. and stop with "yucky" ness.

An old man refused heparin and insulin. Basis it comes from pork. So I started to wonder, when does a pig stop being a pig. If I took a pig, and tossed it into a wood chipper and all that came out I put into a large barrel. A barrel of pig. It's still pork. If i put the contents of that barrel into a ditch and waited, the bugs and worms consume it and excrete what wasn't needed, is that excrement a pig? If I took that excrement and put it into a pot and placed a tomato seeds on top and grew a nice red tomato, is that a pig?

there are 2 issues here:

one about impure substances in medicine: http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2010/12/27/is-it-permissible-to-take-medicine-that-contains-gelatin/

other how much transformation is necessary to make an impure substance pure: Tabdeel-e-Mahiyat [Change in the Original Properties of a Substance] http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2010/12/27/a-guide-for-consuming-various-meats-foods-alcohol-animal-by-product-ingredients-and-cosmetics/

I need to read up on this

OK. There's no consideration for a level of synthesis in either example. Gelatin, can be different levels of complexity. The question regarding the medicines, is there is wet heat extraction fron an intestine of a pig, the chemical is called heparin. It's not the one used though because it has to be washed, and preserved. The next med is the same chemical but at a lower molecular weight. It's altered. By making it have a lower molecular weight, what ever doohickey, isn't that synthesized more? The other is a list of some sort. I'm just throwing the parameters out there. There shouldn't, in my mind, be any issue with its use without having to find a Muslim doc evergreently. Actually, they have to use it in SA or anywhere. I wonder what they do

OK. There's no consideration for a level of synthesis in either example. Gelatin, can be different levels of complexity. The question regarding the medicines, is there is wet heat extraction fron an intestine of a pig, the chemical is called heparin. It's not the one used though because it has to be washed, and preserved. The next med is the same chemical but at a lower molecular weight. It's altered. By making it have a lower molecular weight, what ever doohickey, isn't that synthesized more? The other is a list of some sort. I'm just throwing the parameters out there. There shouldn't, in my mind, be any issue with its use without having to find a Muslim doc evergreently. Actually, they have to use it in SA or anywhere. I wonder what they do

as far as i can see the issue of transformation lacks lot of details in the fatwa. maybe there is more detail out there some where, or maybe scholars haven't really caught up with modern chemistry yet. you are also probably right about (no) need for docs. i think you are the closest thing to a muslim doctor that patient have. maybe u could call up some scholars as a concerned muslim medical practitioner.

I'm still betting on one of the principal oil rich nations have Hiroshi's that perform the function, they'd have to have a better protocol than I can think. I'll write to one of them maybe

well according to the Qur'an its explicitly the meat of the pig that is haraam, which would allude to specific proteins and molecules only present together in the food form of pigs, i.e. pig bacon, gammon steak, etc.

Scientifically speaking, and please enlighten me here, but through industrial processes and synthesis, doesn't the combination of what molecules effectively qualify as pig meat fundamentally change?

I am sure such a question is down to madhab. Not to mention, isn't it specifically the consumption of pig meat that is haram, as opposed to medical applications, and isn't there the fly hadith regarding medical usage of otherwise bad things?