Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Abdul Rahman

Depression, procrastination, slacker - HELP

OK, the title says it all. I became injured at work the beginning of July and I haven't been the same. Physically better but mentally not so good. I thought it was all the dope I had to do, but that's cleared my system now. The problem is serious to me. I sit. For hours. Doing nothing. I have, before I became injured, committed to several time consuming projects for work. Work is permanent tow, not travel, and I'm competing with young people. I have projects at home that I can't seem to focus on- fences to build for my dogs, budgets and vehicle related projects that need to get done, organization of paperwork and budgets and plans and kids. Kids projects and needs that I am just not doing. And forget about my religion, it wax's and wanes the same as everything else. I'm just hollow. What do y'all do? What keeps you going? What do you think I should do? I can't find a psych trick to help this it seems.

I'll post later iA. But in short, your time of inactivity and dope and injury stress carved some paths in your brain that you are finding difficult to snap out of.

But is it true depression? do you have complete apathy, lack of desire to live?

Eitherway, one thing you need to do is to start moving your body. Can you walk?

Procrastinating and slacking seems to be a result of the mental low you are feeling. And i think it doesn't help to find what will make you get motivated again. You should treat your state as an ailment of mind, and try to heal that. The rest will follow.

Unless you know of a specific cause, I think it is logical to treat the cause of depression to be the injury and following time. If you just sat/lay around doing nothing, you must have gotten your self in to ruminating about things. Is that right? Did you think about work, competing with young people, thinking yourself at a disadvantage? Did you feel guilty for not praying? Did you sat there alone feeling lonely? Did you ruminate about these things at length? (say yes or no). If you did, you really did wire your brain for depression. Did you sat there alone feeling lonely? Did you eat not so well? Did you blast yourself with cellphone light at night? Did you read and thought about depressing news all day long?

If answers to any of these questions are yes, stop doing that!

Latest research shows (I must have posted them here somewhere - but I'll summarize) leading causes of depression includes lack of social contact, physical inactivity, bad food. Then what should you do?

1. Stop thinking (now that you read this, I bet you can't stop thinking)

2. Go for walks

3. Watch anime (questionable, I know)

Or go over this list, and do what you can.

http://tlc.ku.edu/elements

I believe you're right. Bad food and inactivity and lack of social interaction. I've temporarily rewired my brain. I can walk and more. That's where I'll start. Excersise.

I believe you're right. Bad food and inactivity and lack of social interaction. I've temporarily rewired my brain. I can walk and more. That's where I'll start. Excersise.

You could play sports with your kids.

Bonding and exercise. Two birds with one stone!

Lol. My son only plays Aussie rugby. My daughter only volleyball. Baseball is dead. It's a good thought though. Maybe I'll start a treadmill regime and pretend I'm on the space station

What was your injury? Yeah, exercise helps me feel better when I don't feel good. When I was too injured and not able to lift weights, I'd jump rope, shoot some hoops, or go on walks/jogs/runs.

And I agree with a lot of Haku said.

It's hard to get out of ruts. To eat well and be to social. It is really tough and tiring. When you're in the rut some days are better than others, but just keep trying to build off of the positives. And think good thoughts! You'll be shining again in no time.

Yeah what was your injury? And why do you think the injury is somehow responsible for making you feel mentally worse? Is there a connection?
That said, let me address three issues for now:
1. I'm sure everyone agrees that procrastination is a bad habit. But the question is, is procrastination always a bad thing? Probably not. Sometimes the most original and creative ideas come to us after some procrastination. Many artists and writers have often started a project, and at one point they just stopped working on the project (because of laziness, lack of ideas, difficulty of the project, lack of motivation, or whatever reason), only to start once again after being inspired by some new idea which they didn't even expect coming. Of course, this is not advisable if you have very short deadlines. But when there isn't much of a time pressure to finish something, then it may not be bad thing to procrastinate - that is, as long as you are determined to come back to what you started working on. It can help your brain to incubate old ideas and eventually come up with better and more creative ideas.

2. Just as lack of physical activity can make you feel depressed, a lack of mental activity can do the same. So, it is important to do things that will engage and stimulate your brain and which will have a positive effect. Read something. Learn something. Write something. Even if you're just sitting and doing nothing, let your mind do its own thing. Let the mind imagine, let it fantasize, let it "drift." All of this is healthy, in fact. But of course, just try to avoid any negative thoughts. If you're starting to get negative thoughts, try to see the most positive side to them, or just think of something positive.
3. Social interaction does help you feel better, in many ways. That is 100% true. However, that is not to say that being alone is always a bad thing. Some amount of solitude in our daily lives is necessary, too. I should also note that the preference between the two ("alone time" vs. "social time" so to speak) differs among different people. Some people find social interaction to be more beneficial for their psychological/emotional well-being. Others find times of solitude to be more relaxing and peaceful than being around people. But, IMO, both are important. You can decide for yourself which method you like better - and do that more often.

It was the worst injury I've ever had. It's weird, I've broken multiple bones in my life including my femur and a humerus and all sorts of fingers and toes, been stabbed in the leg with an ice pick, had several teeth knocked loose or out, filleted my right upper tricep to the requiring around a hundred and twenty stitches from going through a plate glass window, split my scalp a half dozen times and dislocated right shoulder twice in six months. I've had oral maxillary infections, burst eardrums and metal shavings in my eyes . So I'm not unused to pain.

This was different. I had pulled the nerve roots, the transition area between the peripheral nerves and the central nervous system, from C-5 through T-1. They swelled beyond the foremen diameters to the brachial plexus and encompassing the entire pectoral girdle of my left side. I developed severe ataxia to my left arm from mid humorous to my hand with associating pain of all the muscles of the scapula, chest,shoulder, axilla and of coarse neck.

The pain was 10/10 all the time, regardless of position, med or treatment until i was seen by an expert in spinal injury nine days later. I thought originally it was an Ortho deal, so the Ortho doctor said there was no treatment and it could last five years. My blood pressure was 245/135 consistently and I hadn't slept since it began except for forty minutes after I recieved ten mg Morphine Iv, 2 mg Dilaudid, and four tabs of Percocet 10/325s in the ER I recieved to lay flat for the MRI. That when I first went to the Ortho guy. Jerk. JO removed my guns that night to somewhere I never found out.

This all (minus the missing guns) from a fall?

Also given the serious nature of the injury and pain, you might be suffering from PTSD! My previous answer seems naïve.

Not a fall, I was restraining a young man who was hallucinating badly after a long brain vascular injury and a withdrawal from alcohol. He was very combative and the other nurse was trying to place an IV in his arm. I placed my head into his chest to keep him from raising up while laying my hips over his knees to keep him from kicking and I held both arms, Christ like elbows levered over the side of the bed to keep them still. Relatively. While the other nurse attempted to get veinous access and deliver several meds to sedate him. I held that position, extended, for about twenty minutes. After, I just felt my trap muscle burning a little. Like from a work out. Went home and took motrin. Awoke around twelve in excruciating pain. Meds and bath didn't help. By five I was heading to work and the pain kept getting worse until I started to pass out and my left arm went numb. Thought I was having a heart attack. Lol. Crazy pain though. I don't subscribe to PTSD theory for stuff like this, but maybe. I was on very strong narcotics fur about a month before the spinal injections really kicked in, and the withdraws were tough physically and mentally. After that I just shut down. August sucked. JO was amazing. I was only suicidal for a few days and only due to thinking that there was nothing anyone could do. I fantasized about blowing my shoulder and left arm off with the shotgun and that's when she took the guns away. The spinal doc was amazing and effective with marcain blocks along the trigger pathways. Everything after was inertia,i guess. I've been walking/moving this last week regularly and praying for forgiveness. There are positive out comes that I need to focus on, such as a deeper understanding of nerve pain and the effects of high dose drugs not used for recreational highs

OK, the title says it all. I became injured at work the beginning of July and I haven't been the same. Physically better but mentally not so good. I thought it was all the dope I had to do, but that's cleared my system now. The problem is serious to me. I sit. For hours. Doing nothing. I have, before I became injured, committed to several time consuming projects for work. Work is permanent tow, not travel, and I'm competing with young people. I have projects at home that I can't seem to focus on- fences to build for my dogs, budgets and vehicle related projects that need to get done, organization of paperwork and budgets and plans and kids. Kids projects and needs that I am just not doing. And forget about my religion, it wax's and wanes the same as everything else. I'm just hollow. What do y'all do? What keeps you going? What do you think I should do? I can't find a psych trick to help this it seems.

lol that sucks dude.

I feel like that sometimes.. like having nothing to do with boredom and getting sad. If I had a good solution for it I'd probably be rich though as it seems alot of people go through the same thing.

Good yes and yes. I was carrying a lot of guilt and fear that I wasn't aware of and it was paralyzing. The imam I saw listened, asked some questions and listened some more. He said I was a good Muslim by his understanding. He said, and I now see, that older reverts have a more difficult time assimilating and many reverts quit Islam after only a few years. I had a lot of identity anxiety. That it's like a marriage that the excitement may have lessened, but the commitment was real. That lifted enough weight from me to go to a medical therapist who explained the fear of reinjury. So I began cautiously to do yoga again and work as hard as I want.