Maniac Muslim Forums
superman

Arabic Phrases

yea there's plenty. Arabic desert sky, awaatu arabiyya, Arabic pod youtube channel etc.

If you have the means I would definitely recommend a conversational/comprehension class in Arabic (like once a week). I think its much faster than self study alone plus you will have opportunity to practise

Finally while grammer is important you should realise what your aims are. I am practising basic comprehension/speaking. This means I learn no grammer except very basic stuff and try to memorise vocabulary/phrases.

Grammer is important for meaning but advanced grammer is more relevant towards seeing subtle meanings in text/speach

If you wanna learn the real Arabic I'd recommend immersing yourself with a Bedouin family. Or a village in Yemen.

To be honest that's actually a really good idea: gap years in Yemen. Would make a great project to take students of Arabic into.

hmm.. is yemen cheap? This is a good idea

hmm.. is yemen cheap? This is a good idea

Yeah the cost of living is incredibly low. It's also a very dangerous place, but I'm sure there are places there that are safe enough.

If you wanna learn the real Arabic I'd recommend immersing yourself with a Bedouin family. Or a village in Yemen.

To be honest that's actually a really good idea: gap years in Yemen. Would make a great project to take students of Arabic into.

I echo Mo's sentiments.I did spend some time studying in Egypt before, completing a summer program. It was for a short while however it was very beneficial. You have no choice but to implement and exercise the words and vocabs you learn. In a non-arab country it's difficult practising conversations and vocabulary, so it is definitely something I'd recommend. However, the conflicts there has made it a little unstable and unpredictable.

yea there's plenty. Arabic desert sky, awaatu arabiyya, Arabic pod youtube channel etc.

If you have the means I would definitely recommend a conversational/comprehension class in Arabic (like once a week). I think its much faster than self study alone plus you will have opportunity to practise

Finally while grammer is important you should realise what your aims are. I am practising basic comprehension/speaking. This means I learn no grammer except very basic stuff and try to memorise vocabulary/phrases.

Grammer is important for meaning but advanced grammer is more relevant towards seeing subtle meanings in text/speach

I'd agree, it is better to learn from a teacher as it'll make the experience more enjoyable and they'll be able to give better explanations than just reading from a book. Having an expansive vocabulary and little grammar is better than having full understanding of the grammar yet little vocab to utilise it with. However, just memorising sentences and structures will limit you in your ability to read, write and speak the language. Without the grammar you won't be able to correctly construct sentences yourself, which may lead to sentences giving different meanings. Simple things such as referring to both genders and persons (1st/2nd/3rd) won't make comprehensive sense unless verb scales are studied. Your ability to translate sentences will be weaker since you won't know the grammatical impact and state of a word in a sentence. Also Arabic literature (both islamic and modern) doesn't use the vowel marks in print, so your ability to identify the word and read it correctly will be weaker.

Ultimately you want to have a strong grasp of both. A book which gives a good blend of grammar and vocab is the Madinah Book series, which comes in 3 volumes. That will help you develop a good balance of grammar and vocabulary simultaneously. It has the lessons in Arabic and English so ultimately you can self-study. Also to couple your conversational skills, I'd recommend a series called 'Al-Arabiyya Baina Yadaik' (Arabic between your hands). It is packed with conversations which you'd have at home and outside e.g. restaurant, school, friends, travel, food, tourism etc. This will help you broaden your vocabulary and develop conversational skills. Plus, you'll be able to identify and appreciate the grammar it contains, from what you learn in the Madinah Books.

Hope that helps.

wajab 3layi an aktab bi 3rabi kulu yawm

btw wats the dif between wajab adn yajab

Wajaba is past tense and yajibu is present tense.

I browsed the three you mentioned superman. I think Arabic pod will be the helpful one. The arabiyaa one didn't show up and the desert sky is more focused on Egyptian Arabic that I don't want to focus on or is it better to look at their dialect?

https://www.laits.utexas.edu/aswaat/ - read the faqs and general help stuff

desert sky is good for learning vocab for both Egyptian and standard Arabic.

to learn new vocab I recommend making flashcards with anki. While not hard it can be time consuming. If you want to know more just ask.

And really get those convo classes dude - if you can.

Oh dialect or standard. Good question. If you plan to go to Egypt within the next year or so start with Egyptian.

If not, learning standard will serve as a good base to learn other types of Arabic.

I won't be able to get those convo classes or go abroad to learn Arabic (that's not happening).

I'll have to stay put with online learning for now.

Jazak Allah Hu khairan

yajibu 3layka an tata3lamani lughat al3rabi

is there any instance where you would use tajibu, or tajibeena or something.

You should be able to answer that...what do tajibu and tajibeena mean?

So I'm learning Arabic but there are a few phrases that puzzle me/I don't know about. Since we have some Arabs here I thought it would be easy to get translations.

So each post I (or someone else) will just post the phrase and the context.

Todays phrase: عدم الإستقرار

Context: I'm learning weather forecasts and this comes up a lot. From what I can garner its got something to do with uncertainty??? Like I google imaged it and I saw a bunch of stuff from weather maps to falling stock prices lol.

عدم means lack of

الإستقرار means stability or I guess certainty in this context?

So lack of stability... or at least I think so :D