Maniac Muslim Forums
superman

Thread Al-3rabi

26 minutes ago, superman said:

I find it hard to find interesting material read or listen to. A lot of religious texts have a niche vocabulary and have different constructs to MSA

For my class, we read literature and poetry about Algeria. I find them very interesting. They're definitely over my level, and probably over your's too, but I think you'd get something out of them. I'd be happy to share them if you'd like. Some of them are quite intense once you work through them and understand all the symbolism. Our teacher gives us vocab lists to go along with them.

25 minutes ago, Mufasa said:

For my class, we read literature and poetry about Algeria. I find them very interesting. They're definitely over my level, and probably over your's too, but I think you'd get something out of them. I'd be happy to share them if you'd like. Some of them are quite intense once you work through them and understand all the symbolism. Our teacher gives us vocab lists to go along with them.

lol yes please

1 hour ago, Mufasa said:

trying to explain a misunderstood sentence and the joke you read into it is usually quite hopeless.

I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. I'm studying history and therefore I'm learning Arabic.

what has Arabic got to do with you studying history?

1 hour ago, superman said:

what qs

evolutionary theory thread and there's a few more that are random. (Might see them in the random Islamic q thread that is dead now).

23 minutes ago, Breeze said:

what has Arabic got to do with you studying history?

if you study Islamic history then knowing Arabic means you can directly read the hadith and tafseer in their original arabic

7 minutes ago, superman said:

if you study Islamic history then knowing Arabic means you can directly read the hadith and tafseer in their original arabic

wasn't the Qur'an written way back so it wouldn't be easy to translate directly? As in you won't have the accurate translation?

it's already been translated by scholars.

10 minutes ago, Breeze said:

wasn't the Qur'an written way back so it wouldn't be easy to translate directly? As in you won't have the accurate translation?

it's already been translated by scholars.

I don't really know what your top line is referring to lol

as to ur 2nd line - anyone who's bilingual can tell you that things get lost in translation. There's a lot of classical tafseers (interpretations) in Arabic that where written ages ago, you'll be able to understand them better if you read them directly w.o translation

17 minutes ago, superman said:

I don't really know what your top line is referring to lol

as to ur 2nd line - anyone who's bilingual can tell you that things get lost in translation. There's a lot of classical tafseers (interpretations) in Arabic that where written ages ago, you'll be able to understand them better if you read them directly w.o translation

I meant in history there were tribes and different ways of speaking Arabic. How can we translate using the Arabic spoken now? I guess it's mostly the same then.

10 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I meant in history there were tribes and different ways of speaking Arabic. How can we translate using the Arabic spoken now? I guess it's mostly the same then.

no.. you learn Classical Arabic in that case and then learn the specific dialect if you need to. MSA and Classical Arabic are quite similar so it does help to learn MSA as there is more material on it.

Along with MSA you have spoken Arabic like Egyptian, Gulf, Morrocon etc.. these are very different to MSA that they're like languages in their own right. Learning MSA won't allow you to understand "street Arabic"

5 hours ago, superman said:

lol yes please

I'll send you some material in a few days if that's cool.

I'll include my favorite stories we read and her vocab lists. 

10 hours ago, Mufasa said:

I'll send you some material in a few days if that's cool.

I'll include my favorite stories we read and her vocab lists. 

I'm interested in the stories. :thumbup: