Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
S.W

Hemoshtional intelligence

TL;DR - The thread is to discuss Emotional intelligence, how to assess our own and how to build on it. There are different types of intelligence (PQ,IQ,EQ,SQ etc), and the purpose of the thread is to learn more discuss how we can improve on these. This stuff is helpful for your personal as well as your professional life (esp if you want to climb the career ladder).

---------

Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is the ability to identify, use, understand, and manage emotions in positive ways to relieve stress, communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome challenges, and defuse conflict.

Goleman identified the five 'domains' of EQ as:

1. Knowing your emotions.

2. Managing your own emotions.

3. Motivating yourself.

4. Recognising and understanding other people's emotions.

5. Managing relationships, ie., managing the emotions of others.

EQ Model below in spoiler box

EQ-Table.png

that pyramid model looks badly done. I'd put those 4 qualities side by side rather than stack one on top of another on a perceived arbitrary importance.

Also it's not as if one is independent of the other. Good IQ, verbal skills would help EQ because it allows one to have an effective inner dialog.

that pyramid model looks badly done. I'd put those 4 qualities side by side rather than stack one on top of another on a perceived arbitrary importance.

Also it's not as if one is independent of the other. Good IQ, verbal skills would help EQ because it allows one to have an effective inner dialog.

I added the model so there's a visual representation to show a hierarchy of intelligence, it's easier to post a picture than explain it. I would have thought that you work your way up, everyone has PQ, but you build on your IQ, and then develop yourself to get the EQ.

I wouldn't say they are independent of each other, I saw it as taking it step by step.

But its interesting that you would put it side by side, and that you don't see one more important than the other.

this seems like some pseudoscience

In a business environment the goal would be to improve performance/team productivity/leadership skills/people management.

In a business environment the goal would be to improve performance/team productivity/leadership skills/people management.

Yeah but there are better ways to do it and realistically speaking in a high skilled economy, autonomy has proven to be the best way for people to do their job.

This kind of thinking just seems to be a way into micromanaging micromanagement, a never ending black hole of productivity.

Plus there are much better ways of improving leadership skills like company outings/challenges, which have been proven to work time and time again (adventurous training in the British military being the clearest example).

Yeah but there are better ways to do it and realistically speaking in a high skilled economy, autonomy has proven to be the best way for people to do their job.

This kind of thinking just seems to be a way into micromanaging micromanagement, a never ending black hole of productivity.

Plus there are much better ways of improving leadership skills like company outings/challenges, which have been proven to work time and time again (adventurous training in the British military being the clearest example).

Alot of businesses are investing a huge amount in getting their employees training on this topic.

Away days are good, I agree but you can't say a day out will give you same benefit as something like this.

There are many articles you can read from a business perspective on why this is good, they'll do a better job than I can.

I added the model so there's a visual representation to show a hierarchy of intelligence, it's easier to post a picture than explain it. I would have thought that you work your way up, everyone has PQ, but you build on your IQ, and then develop yourself to get the EQ.

I am telling you that model is nonsense. Intelligence doesn't follow any hierarchy. Who says PQ comes before IQ? Who says EQ builds on IQ? overly simplistic thinking involved here. Is the PQ of a martial artist same as that of a fat clumsy geek with high IQ? Nay, all forms of intelligence are merely different aspects one intelligence. People can train to make one or more aspects stronger.

Alot of businesses are investing a huge amount in getting their employees training on this topic.

Away days are good, I agree but you can't say a day out will give you same benefit as something like this.

There are many articles you can read from a business perspective on why this is good, they'll do a better job than I can.

I think the practical experience of leading colleagues on a hike or a rock climbing activity translates into applicable skills far better than these type of unscientific management theories.

The concept of EI in business in itself has been criticised from the get-go, there is a reason why generally speaking it isn't taught as a serious subject at top business schools in the same way scientific approaches to employee wellbeing are.

I am telling you that model is nonsense. Intelligence doesn't follow any hierarchy. Who says PQ comes before IQ? Who says EQ builds on IQ? overly simplistic thinking involved here. Is the PQ of a martial artist same as that of a fat clumsy geek with high IQ? Nay, all forms of intelligence are merely different aspects one intelligence. People can train to make one or more aspects stronger.

Oooh that's a very good point. I get what you're saying now.

So how do people train to make one aspect stronger, is it just google/read up on it and then try to apply it?

I think the practical experience of leading colleagues on a hike or a rock climbing activity translates into applicable skills far better than these type of unscientific management theories.

The concept of EI in business in itself has been criticised from the get-go, there is a reason why generally speaking it isn't taught as a serious subject at top business schools in the same way scientific approaches to employee wellbeing are.

Okay, that's cool. I can appreciate there has to be differences of opinions on different topics and some can consider this a load of tosh and that's fair enough. I sat through some training on this from PwC and then another consultancy firm a while ago and we went through some exercises and I wanted to improve my EQ, so I was a bit curious, that's all.

Oooh that's a very good point. I get what you're saying now.

So how do people train to make one aspect stronger, is it just google/read up on it and then try to apply it?

if emotional intelligence is what you want to cultivate, tell us why?

if emotional intelligence is what you want to cultivate, tell us why?

I suppose to learn a bit of tact/methods when dealing with difficult people and not to be so abrupt/direct. Learn the art of diplomacy :ph34r:

I suppose to learn a bit of tact/methods when dealing with difficult people and not to be so abrupt/direct. Learn the art of diplomacy :ph34r:

if that's the goal, working towards it is much easier than cultivating overall EQ.

read books like 'how to influence people and make friends by Dave Carnegie'. There are other resources which you can search for. e.g., dealing with difficult people.