Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
S.W

Hemoshtional intelligence

Why have you all got to be such Negative Nancys for? KMT

I think this thread is very useful and important! (extra !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for Shaver) but not focusing on the professional/leadership side of things- just for the purpose of trying to become a better human being.

That pyramid is definitely off though, it's not like Maslow's "hierarchy of needs" where the 'need' on top predicates fulfilling those at the bottom. All of those things should be side by side. Saadu, did you say "everyone has PQ"-?! The girl who trips over her own stationary feet? PQ, IQ, EI are all totally separate skills. There are people with very low IQ ("academic") intelligence who have excellent EI and then people brilliant in their field (high IQ) with abysmal EI (HAKPOOH) and so on..

The EQ model in your first post spoiler was nice- reading over it reminded me of many examples from the Seerah of the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa salam exhibiting very beautiful demonstartions of EI. If I can make time to collate some, I'll post here insha'Allah!

if that's the goal, working towards it is much easier than cultivating overall EQ.

read books like 'how to influence people and make friends by Dave Carnegie'. There are other resources which you can search for. e.g., dealing with difficult people.

Thank you for that recommendation, I will read this and get back to you.

I think this thread is very useful and important! (extra !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for Shaver) but not focusing on the professional/leadership side of things- just for the purpose of trying to become a better human being.

That pyramid is definitely off though, it's not like Maslow's "hierarchy of needs" where the 'need' on top predicates fulfilling those at the bottom. All of those things should be side by side. Saadu, did you say "everyone has PQ"-?! The girl who trips over her own stationary feet? PQ, IQ, EI are all totally separate skills. There are people with very low IQ ("academic") intelligence who have excellent EI and then people brilliant in their field (high IQ) with abysmal EI (HAKPOOH) and so on..

The EQ model in your first post spoiler was nice- reading over it reminded me of many examples from the Seerah of the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa salam exhibiting very beautiful demonstartions of EI. If I can make time to collate some, I'll post here insha'Allah!

I only mentioned the professional/business thing as an example for Mo, my main intention to find out to become a better person. I do think that a lot of the things that I'm trying to understand can be understood if proper Islamic etiquette is studied, but the only reason im not googling hadith on manners and stuff is because I prefer the layout to be context + instructions that can be implemented, rather than quotes that i'm supposed to sit there and figure out.

There is another book called 'Enjoy your life' by Dr. Muhammad Adb Al-Rahman Al-Arifi which is supposed to be a series of anecdotes with examples of how EI is used in different contexts, it draws on many examples from the Prophet salalaho alayhi wasalams life as well as the companions, radiallahu anhum. I read a few chapters and thought it was good. I think i'll go back and read this too. To be honest I had completely forgotten about the book until you mentioned the examples from the seerah. So thanks for that!

(lol@pq-dig. go moo elsewhere man, diz is serious talkz)

how dare you challenge my emotional intelligence.

Don't let her speak to you like this Shaver. If you let this slide, she'll slate you every chance she gets. For the sake of your family honour, your generations to come, your motorbikes (whichever appeals to you more) fight her, fight her with tooth and nail and win!

PQ, IQ, EI are all totally separate skills. There are people with very low IQ ("academic") intelligence who have excellent EI and then people brilliant in their field (high IQ) with abysmal EI (HAKPOOH) and so on..

The skills are not totally separate. These are 4 aspects of the same thing - the mind. And the 4 things are not all the aspects there is to it. Even practicing PQ will help a person to be more self aware. Ability appreciate a good poem, although doesn't really fall under one of these categories would also help in other aspects.

On the other hand, indulging in stupid things such as bollywood reality shows will degrade the mind in general resulting in low EQ.

The skills are not totally separate. These are 4 aspects of the same thing - the mind. And the 4 things are not all the aspects there is to it. Even practicing PQ will help a person to be more self aware. Ability appreciate a good poem, although doesn't really fall under one of these categories would also help in other aspects.

On the other hand, indulging in stupid things such as bollywood reality shows will degrade the mind in general resulting in low EQ.

You're right about there being more than just the 4 in the pyramid. I was googling something quick and took that one, but there were other examples with different ones too.

So you're telling me someone who is raised on a steady diet of Bollywood and hangs off every tree-dancing scene of fun and frolicks cant have zero IQ, but have very strong PQ?

You're right about there being more than just the 4 in the pyramid. I was googling something quick and took that one, but there were other examples with different ones too.

With stuff like this, there'll be a dozen different ways of categorising these traits and how they intersect with each other. It's not really the categorisations which are important, more the underlying principles.

We have had other threads about this, but one of the biggest sources of help for self-awareness I've come across has been MBTI. Not only for reading and understanding your own self, but (arguably) more importantly, for knowing how and why you interact with others the way you do (by knowing or guessing their MBTI) and what a functional/dysfunctional version of your type looks like.

With stuff like this, there'll be a dozen different ways of categorising these traits and how they intersect with each other. It's not really the categorisations which are important, more the underlying principles.

We have had other threads about this, but one of the biggest sources of help for self-awareness I've come across has been MBTI. Not only for reading and understanding your own self, but (arguably) more importantly, for knowing how and why you interact with others the way you do (by knowing or guessing their MBTI) and what a functional/dysfunctional version of your type looks like.

Ohmadaizzzzzzz, I've given up with that. How many tests did I do that night? And I came up with a different answer each time. Completely different.

You're ENFP for sure. Read the profile, does it sound familiar? Use humanmetrics website, not the others. (Also, your type can change if your habits have changed according to any new stressors or traumas etc, but its what you feel on an 'average' day. My I/E has become almost equal as a reaction to stress [motherhood!] but I know for sure my 'default' preference is E for example)

You're ENFP for sure. Read the profile, does it sound familiar? Use humanmetrics website, not the others. (Also, your type can change if your habits have changed according to any new stressors or traumas etc, but its what you feel on an 'average' day. My I/E has become almost equal as a reaction to stress [motherhood!] but I know for sure my 'default' preference is E for example)

Lol, I did again, just for you. You dun no me fam,

INFJ
Introvert(27%) iNtuitive(6%) Feeling(38%) Judging(12%)
  • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (27%)
  • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (6%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (12%)

^people change

Yes they do.

I would say im different with people who i've known 10years+ v. people I've only known for a few years. The latter group i'm not really interested in building proper meaningful relationships with, i'm happy to just fulfil their rights and treat them well, but new people rarely excite me. The people that i've known for a while, the few that I like excite me enough to have a proper laugh with them and make an effort. I think i'm generally more reserved in my interactions with people now. Which is where this EQ thing came about, i wanted to find out how to change things around.