Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
S.W

Hemoshtional intelligence

what does EQ has to do with changing your interactions with people? introverts are usually of higher EQ.

It's not pseudo science. However, the science of sentience and intelligence is extremely new. The pyramid is not the best representative for this, because it's not a hierarchy. It's a blending of spectrums that include those categories. Emotional intelligence, of the order you seek, can be achieved through time and experiences. Try investing in one conversation per week, or day, if possible, with... well, anyone really

Emotionally unstable inc.

If I ask you why, are you gonna say 'periods'?

If you want to contribute to a discussion you have to come out with something a with bit more substance rather than sexist stereotypes.

what does EQ has to do with changing your interactions with people? introverts are usually of higher EQ.

I understood it as having more emotional intelligence would help you assess situations/manage people better, could work in workplace and personal life.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Alon-Amit’s-MBTI/answer/Alon-Amit

I know I left but..

I know MM was obsessed with personality tests a while back - which tbh I never understood how they were helpful. Anyway I was browsing quora and I felt this was relevant in articulating my gripes with such tests:

Who agrees/disagrees and why.

(I posted here because I couldn't find the other thread). Also if you want to be better at emotional intelligence I suggest what Haku said - find a good reputable book, get a pen and paper and go through it slowly. Also, try to maintain eye contact with people in general (at least long enough to determine eye colour). For some reason this makes you more confident when dealing with people, and eyes in general seem to say a lot about how people are feeling.

Okay, c u guiz l8r

I know I left but..

I know MM was obsessed with personality tests a while back - which tbh I never understood how they were helpful. Anyway I was browsing quora and I felt this was relevant in articulating my gripes with such tests:

(I posted here because I couldn't find the other thread). Also if you want to be better at emotional intelligence I suggest what Haku said - find a good reputable book, get a pen and paper and go through it slowly. Also, try to maintain eye contact with people in general (at least long enough to determine eye colour). For some reason this makes you more confident when dealing with people, and eyes in general seem to say a lot about how people are feeling.

Okay, c u guiz l8r

Dumb rant (it's not even an article?) which misclassifies what MBTI is or aims towards.

Dumb rant (it's not even an article?) which misclassifies what MBTI is or aims towards.

Yea it's just a dude on Quora.

Now I don't have anything against MBTI. However he is addressing the issue that people sometimes get hung up on online personality tests in general - as if it somehow defines them. I always felt that no matter answer you are given you can always find a way to relate to it in some sense (and so the usefulness of such tests is diminished).

Now these things could be helpful - but as I witnessed on MM people just got hung up on their results way too much. Personality in general is complex, so I don't know how you can define it in 4 or so letters.

Now I accept the argument that MBTI or other such tests have other aims, and it is not necessarily a personality test in the sense I am thinking - but how many people taking these tests understand that?

I know I left but..

Okay, c u guiz l8r

C u l8r!!

Yea it's just a dude on Quora.

Now I don't have anything against MBTI. However he is addressing the issue that people sometimes get hung up on online personality tests in general - as if it somehow defines them. I always felt that no matter answer you are given you can always find a way to relate to it in some sense (and so the usefulness of such tests is diminished).

But then that's a problem with the people('s attitude) when taking these tests, not a reflection of the test itself?

MBTI isn't some kind of fatalistic or crystal-ball definition of who you are in your totality as a human in existence. It's saying that people's preferences (social, neurological etc) largely fall into broad categories and these make up particular personality archetypes. None of us (save Musa) is truly a unique or special snowflake, our ways of relating to ourselves, one another, the world etc follow particular patterns and MBTI helps to illuminate these areas.

People are complex, have dysfunctional states, have contradictory states and change their default "ways of being" as a response to stress and other stimuli etc. MBTI doesn't deny this. It doesn't purport to be wahy.

Now these things could be helpful - but as I witnessed on MM people just got hung up on their results way too much. Personality in general is complex, so I don't know how you can define it in 4 or so letters.

It's not a 4 letter definition of personality. That's not the purpose of MBTI. You can't critique it on a premise it doesn't claim.

People getting hung up on their results is..........their problem?

Now I accept the argument that MBTI or other such tests have other aims, and it is not necessarily a personality test in the sense I am thinking - but how many people taking these tests understand that?

Those people need educating to adjust their expectations of these tests. The test serve the purpose they outline and can't be blamed for being "misunderstood".

There is also a type of emotional intelligence which is superficial and manipulative. One aspect of that is what is known as "cognitive empathy" (even many psychopaths have this type of empathy), which is merely a kind of understanding of others' feelings and knowing how to react in the appropriate manner, but at a deeper, emotional level, you actually have little empathy compared to what you show on the outside. This may be advantageous for improving your performance at your work and personal life, but it is also exploitative and too much self-oriented. Real empathy, on the other hand, is more automatic and sincere.

So the question is, what kind of emotional intelligence are you interested to work on, S.W.? I ask that because in the other thread you wrote:

"I like the idea of not empathising with others and being more logical/methodical/cunning rather than emotional/soft."

If that's your stance on empathizing with others, then I get the impression that now you trying to improve your emotional intelligence (empathy being a big part of it) only at a superficial level just so that you can manipulate others and be more successful in life. Is that true?