Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spider

Like Business

So if this isn't serious enough of a topic to debate, then we can just disable the 'like' system right now and then nobody would really care, right?

Well I can say id object to disabling the like system without writing a PhD thesis on the subject.

Well, I'll wait for the mods to weigh in on this thread first.

lollzzz as a moderator terminator of bots and trolls i likezzz the likezzzz :flower:

Well I can say id object to disabling the like system without writing a PhD thesis on the subject.

let's see your research proposal first

First of all, I want to say that I appreciate that you take the time to think through and write out posts. As a fellow long post writer, I admire actually working through an argument *with* the reader, as opposed to just spitting out an idea.

Secondly, I don't think others are being fair in simply writing off what you're saying; that's reactionary & unnecessarily dismissive. People cannot *logically* argue that 'likes' do not serve a purpose, or do not evoke any feelings, or else they simply would not have caught on on social networks. Apparently Facebook found them to be meritorious to users, and other mediums found them to be the same.

I will step up to bat for the 'like', however. While I agree with you that 'likes' have an impact, I disagree with your identification of that impact. I think you've butchered my (and Zim's) quote in how you've interpreted it; I was teasing the fact that sometimes I will open MM and periodically see 15 likes, and all of them are from Oxy, who has gone through a thread, seemingly indiscriminately liking posts. It's become a staple of MM and part of her persona on here; the statement was a joke with Oxy, it wasn't actually concern or wonder about why she hasn't liked my posts.

Now, my argument in favor of the 'like' button: MM, I see, as a place of discourse & dialogue. We are not simply writing our posts for our own sake--otherwise, we could all just keep journals. I see MM as a place to share ideas and experiences and bounce them off each other. If we were not looking for feedback (negative or affirmative), why would we even post on a forum? (though, in some cases, I've wanted to preserve memories, rant, etc.)

The 'like' option is simply one additional layer to communication, just as in *the real world* we have many forms of showing approval or disapproval. When I speak in a class and I see heads nodding in favor, it encourages me to think an idea through further. It's not that I like the nods for the nods themselves, but rather, it's an indicator that my idea has sense to it and that there's something about the idea I'm expressing that is compelling beyond the interiors of my own mind. No one would say "don't nod," or "don't smile" at others, though the same arguments could be applied, and yet they serve a very similar purpose to 'likes': a non-verbal form of affirmation. They enliven dialogues and debates.

Can they go awry for individuals (esp. the cliche selfie FB taker)? Sure. But I would argue that is usually a symptom, rather than a cause. And honestly, I can't imagine people writing posts on MM FOR the sake of likes, or really overthinking them much (though I could be wrong). If there's any place 'likes' do serve a positive purpose, I'd argue it's probably a forum, where people are regularly putting forward arguments.

Also, people are not being very friendly in this thread. You might find it silly to have a long post about 'likes' (as you'll see ^, I don't), but *likes* are actually a staple of most forms of social media now, so they're not random, meaningless or innocent. I don't really see the problem or strangeness in talking about them and what their effect might be. I actually think it's quite low to be teasing Spider on this.

Masha'Allah you wrote an intelligent and thoughtful post on this subject, Mufasa. :D Thanks.

It's hard to argue with what you said (that's kind of rare (for me) hehe).

In the meantime I'm going to think about this still some more ... and post again if something is an issue.

@musa tl;dr lolz

You have short attenshan span lolz.

I do, too, actually.

Sorry Moose, you're right, I am being mean on this thread, but you know- there are a few reasons I can't take Spider and his "analysis" seriously :

- His outlandish and decontextualised quoting of random comments in unrelated threads (my one was almost two years old, but was part of a hilarious bhel puri conversation and Hakpooh trying to justify putting OLIVES in it!?!). His selective cherry picking of quotes to fit a narrative in his mind doesn't lend to credibility

- His recent assertion that when "females particularly" seem to write in an overexcited manner it shows they're craving attention and want likes. LOL. Can't even honour this one with a rebuttal but it was the springboard for this thread

- And all jokes aside, he does actually remind me of that colleague who would have the most wildly inaccurate (almost always negative) misreadings of the most basic and everyday interactions. Sometimes you cannot recognise at all how someone managed to piece together something so inaccurate but still cling to it so confidently? Low EI, sociopath, I don't know.

To add another dimension to this discussion, one thing with likes is that we mostly know each other well enough to even predict which members would favour certain ideas anyway.

A post about My Little Pony and driving junk metal cars from 2008 around a race track? Shaver and Sal are gonna be all over that.

A post about grumpy grammar-less gorillas listing the best grown up cartoons for adults? Hakpooh is gonna be slamming down his like button.

A post about not knowing how to deal with humans and survive having to interact with them? SW will be clickin' away!!

There could be a plethora of reasons behind a 'like'. I don't think it should be taken too seriously...sometimes I like posts because I'm bored or because I found a certain part interesting or funny......doesn't really mean I agree with the poster!

Looks to me like this whole thing is my fault. I seem to be the common denominator in all spider's examples lol. Hehehehe.

where are my likes?