Maniac Muslim Forums

Okay folks, so I think we need a FRESH and current thread to talk about cooking, preparations for cooking and recipes! And to discuss curry methods of course.

One thing which really helps me is that about once every two months, I get 15kg of good quality white onions, peel, slice and fry them. Then process them into a paste. Then create individual use portions for freezer bags. This cuts my cooking time by A LOT since so many recipes (even non desi ones like pasta sauce) require fried onions as a base. It also means I'm not using my food processor daily. I do it all in one day and am set to go.

In a similar vein- I also get a ton of fresh root ginger and raw garlic. Peel and crush with a little salt and olive oil and put into ice cube trays. This means I can literally pop it into a dish for fresh-tasting flavours without the daily work. I used to find I would avoid putting garlic into dishes which actually needed them because I was too busy/it was too inconvenient peeling and crushing two at a time (getting that raw garlic smell on your fingers too).

So what are some of your tips?

Best recipes?

Special dietary requirements?

Oh, you mean laying a thick flat knife against it and pounding it like Jamie does? I don't think I have the strength to do that.

Also, would you guys pay to do a knife skills course? I am seriously considering this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_d0soK1cI

Classes: http://www.jamieolivercookeryschool.com/cooking-classes?type=all&lesson=49&date=all&time=all&dayTime=all

Yeap we do that too, make masala and freeze it.

We also do green chilli, tomato, coriander, chop wash and freeze it.

Yeap we do that too, make masala and freeze it.

We also do green chilli, tomato, coriander, chop wash and freeze it.

This is a food idea but do you add fresh coriander into the body of the curry? I always use it as a garnish, otherwise doesn't it all get cooked away pretty fast?

Although we also buy frozen garlic and ginger too, (no preservatives/100% stuff).

Yes, someone at home bought the Co fresh version of these and the ingredients do say 100% but I'm so confused. When I make my own in the ice cube trays, the colour is darker and more opaque and it definitely tastes different. Am wondering if it's just down to them using a cheaper grade of ginger and garlic as they are producing it en masse.

So people who cook. How important do you think the cookware used is in the process?

There are few equipment that a cook would benefit greatly for very small price.

A good chef's knife - there are very expensive ones, but all you need is god steel with good sharpness

A good boning knife - makes all the difference for cutting meat.

A good wood cutting board.

Then I prefer one cast iron skillet for getting a good sear. It's also a good source of iron.

A large pan/wok for things like fried rice.

rest is as you need.

I need to get a set of pots, nothing too big though cos its just me. Someone told me to get two AMC pots, but I ain't paying 2k for a pot. I had a set but they were pretty rubbish so I returned them. I am currently cooking out of the frying pan and the thing I use to fry chips. I've only made curry once since I've been on my own and the gravy was an issue, I think also because of the vessel that I used. What is the best material to buy for cooking? I'm very confused between the stainless steel, cast aluminium and cast iron that I see in stores.

I don't have a lot of space in my freezer, but back home we do the same thing. My mum buys the ginger and garlic and then slices and dices and chops and mixes and puts them in the ice cube trays and freezes, same with chilli mixture. I wish I could do that too but I have a small freezer and I'm not going to buy a bigger one cos that will use more electricity and I'm cheap.

how do you mean en masse? u cant just make garlic/ginger in a factory

Well how do they mass produce thousands of boxes of frozen cubes of minced ginger and garlic?

There are few equipment that a cook would benefit greatly for very small price.

A good chef's knife - there are very expensive ones, but all you need is god steel with good sharpness

A good boning knife - makes all the difference for cutting meat.

A good wood cutting board.

Then I prefer one cast iron skillet for getting a good sear. It's also a good source of iron.

A large pan/wok for things like fried rice.

rest is as you need.

Yes those do sound like good essentials to have. I have been searching around for what people consider the best pot for curries and most say a Dutch oven, casserole dish or any heavy-bottom pan. But then again, I've seen families with really cheap and thin cookware cook amazing things in it- so perhaps it's a "a good workman doesn't blame his tools" kind of thing.