Maniac Muslim Forums

here's a recipe. Follow your intuition for quantities.

Main Ingredients:

Get Okra (ladies fingers), say half a pound. Get good quality, unwithered, juicy okras. If you try to break off the nose, it should break off easily. Not rubbery. The okras should be cut to pieces - say half an inch in length.

Get fresh or frozen shredded coconut. NOT desiccated coconut.

half an onion, diced.

salt, spices

Heatt oil in a pan and add onions. As they turn translucent, add okra. Add salt to taste. Now occasionally stir until onions are close to caramelized, and okra are well done (soft to bite, no al dante). Add little bit of turmeric powder, garam masala. The goal here to add accent to the dish, not overpower like in north indian dishes.

Add shredded coconut, enough to generously coat the okras and to soak up the leftover spices. Finish off the dish by adding black pepper, red chillie powder or flakes to taste.

Let few okras caramelize. It'll add to flavor.

eat, post and take pics not necessarily in that order.

That sounds good and I really like okra. Do you have a picture so I know what it should look like?

I'ma probo pass on the coconut though...how significant is that?

I'm always uncomfortable making Indian/ish food because my roommate's Indian tho lol.

That sounds good and I really like okra. Do you have a picture so I know what it should look like?

I'ma probo pass on the coconut though...how significant is that?

I'm always uncomfortable making Indian/ish food because my roommate's Indian tho lol.

don't have a pic.

coconut is very important. Otherwise you're left with pan seared okra, which is okay, but not much of a dish.

He may not know this dish. It's very south indian rustic

ps> I think this dish is little advanced for you. You need experience not to burn the okras while cooking it fully. Last time I made this was at least a year ago, so I can't break it down step by step

don't have a pic.

coconut is very important. Otherwise you're left with pan seared okra, which is okay, but not much of a dish.

He may not know this dish. It's very south indian rustic

ps> I think this dish is little advanced for you. You need experience not to burn the okras while cooking it fully. Last time I made this was at least a year ago, so I can't break it down step by step

Fair nuff

haha i appreciate your support but i also managed to screw up the shakshouka sooo

Yes, when I'm being good and organised- this is one of the best ways to reduce my stress and increase my efficiency in the week. So on a weekend, if I can list out 5-6 different evening meal ideas, then I'll check if we have the necessary ingredients and if not, make a shopping list for the supermarket, butchers or fish mongers (as appropriate). Then if I know at the beginning of the day what I'm making, on my GOOD days, I'll cook lunch and dinner at the same time. And for extra points (and if it's possible with the type of food)- I'll cook dinner for tomorrow aswell and put it in the fridge. It saves a lot of money, wasted ingredients, wasted time and also lets you schedule in advance so you deliberately plan your veggie days, your fish days, your lighter meal days and your "treat"-ish days. So you don't end up cooking the same things 2-3 days in a row because you're out of inspiration. Meal planning is great if you can develop the discipline to do it regularly........and it doesn't require more than 10-15 minutes thought and listing when you sit down for it.

So basically you think too much ..

Fair nuff

Stick up for yourself Moose! Prove the old man wrong and execute this dish perfectly... It sounds quite straightforward and I look forward to trying it... Does it need fresh coconut or will dessicated do?

Oh man, we get fresh coconuts like 6 times a year- you know how deadly those things are to smash up? I will reserve this recipe for then inshaAllah. I do love okra so much too.

Oh man, we get fresh coconuts like 6 times a year- you know how deadly those things are to smash up? I will reserve this recipe for then inshaAllah. I do love okra so much too.

you can get them pre shredded/grated and frozen in the frozen section of most desi shops. It should like like one of the below ones. Just make sure they are of good quality since shady desi fridges tend to not work and food thaw and refreeze.

frozen-grated-coconut-1160773.jpg

trfrzngratedcoconut16phil.jpg

here's a pro tip for mufasa and others:

Desi shops carry frozen rotis/paratas some plain some fancy. Just heat one in a pan and a good roti/parata will be ready in minutes.

e.g.,

springhome.jpg

deep_garlicnaan_c.jpg