Maniac Muslim Forums
Mo-

New AMD Ryzen chips

AMD released their long awaited next gen of chips for high end consumers and honestly they are lacklustre according to initial reports.
Generally they are favourable in terms of value for money when compared to Intel chips, but they aren't shaking the competition at the high end when it comes to gaming. As far as processing itself goes, the Ryzen 7 is probably the best consumer-grade chip around according to synthetic benchmarks, but gaming engines just aren't able to utilise its 8 cores properly. People suspect that with more games aiming at utilising multi-core processes in the future, that the chips could be strong in the coming years. But as far as 1080p gaming TODAY goes, Intel i7s are the way to go.

Some reviewers are saying the low fps reported could also be because of bad motherboard compatibility, but we'll see in coming months whether this was the case. It'll certainly be interesting to see how the new Zen architecture performs at lower cores too when the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 come out at a later date.

I've always wanted AMD to produce better chips and become properly competitive, so that at least there is some competition between them and Intel, driving consumer prices down and perhaps even allowing room for other competitors to spring up.

i heard Intel will regualarily crush AMDs sales with massive ad campaigns and then put on the breaks to allow them to recapture some market share. Though why they would do this is a mystery to me.

i heard Intel will regualarily crush AMDs sales with massive ad campaigns and then put on the breaks to allow them to recapture some market share. Though why they would do this is a mystery to me.

ehhh its more like for the past decade or so Intel just made better chips, so game designers used those chips while making games thus optimising them for those games.

Right so none of this made that much sense but I have some questions (which are very likely to be dumb): can you replace these chips in laptops? Or would you have to buy a new laptop with the new chip in? How important are these chips for gaming on my laptop? A lot of games that have been released in the last year or so don't work well on my laptop, so would it be enough to buy a new laptop with a new processor/one with more cores?

If anyone can answer, I'd appreciate it. I don't know anyone who can explain this stuff to me and when I try to google it, I fall asleep.. Thanks.

I'm not really sure to be honest - I don't think you can really replace/add graphics cards to laptops - though I am not that sure. Problem is most laptops come with integrated ones that are most likely soldered on. It might be possible but you have to do a lot of searching lol.

------------Lol diversion-------------------

Easy option is to either get a desktop or play some really old games. You can get a good desktop pretty cheap if you know what you're doing. I saw a guy build a 200 dollar PC more powerful than a PS4 a year ago, but that was after a lot of searching.

If you want gaming on the go like your laptop would - keep an eye on the Nintendo switch. There aren't a lot of games on it atm but with stuff like Zelda, Mario etc it'll be good fun.

I'm not really sure to be honest - I don't think you can really replace/add graphics cards to laptops - though I am not that sure. Problem is most laptops come with integrated ones that are most likely soldered on. It might be possible but you have to do a lot of searching lol.

------------Lol diversion-------------------

Easy option is to either get a desktop or play some really old games. You can get a good desktop pretty cheap if you know what you're doing. I saw a guy build a 200 dollar PC more powerful than a PS4 a year ago, but that was after a lot of searching.

If you want gaming on the go like your laptop would - keep an eye on the Nintendo switch. There aren't a lot of games on it atm but with stuff like Zelda, Mario etc it'll be good fun.

''building a PC'' sounds like something impossible for me to do lol

I don't play Mario or Zelda or those types of games lol

''building a PC'' sounds like something impossible for me to do lol

I don't play Mario or Zelda or those types of games lol

you really should

---lol diversion------

omg so when someone says they don't play Nintendo my inner fanboy just rages out like omg.

The thing is, Nintendo IPs are the most fun things in the world and there is no way you can convince me other wise. NINTENDO IS THE BESTOTOTOATOOSDOA.

But seriously, Mario/Zelda is really fun lol. And everyone is going crazy over breath of the wild too.

This is disappointing but very helpful, thanks!

Next question (or thread?): recommend me a good gaming laptop that won't break the bank :D

What is your budget? What era of games can your laptop currently run? Maybe your better off getting a console.

What is your budget? What era of games can your laptop currently run? Maybe your better off getting a console.

I have an Xbox 360 and Xbox One but I prefer to play on my laptop lol. Budget, let's say £500?

My laptop can play games that were released in like 2010-2013 but anything more than that and it's incredibly laggy/has bad graphics etc.

oh idk then. I still play games on my ps3 so..

if I was you i'd get an emulator, hook it up to a 360/one controller and play some gamecube. u need nintendo in ur life

Get a gamecube emulator like Dolphin. Map it to a 360 controller and play windwaker. Then smashbros. Then metriod prime.

Ok I love nentendo too much.

Right so none of this made that much sense but I have some questions (which are very likely to be dumb): can you replace these chips in laptops? Or would you have to buy a new laptop with the new chip in? How important are these chips for gaming on my laptop? A lot of games that have been released in the last year or so don't work well on my laptop, so would it be enough to buy a new laptop with a new processor/one with more cores?

If anyone can answer, I'd appreciate it. I don't know anyone who can explain this stuff to me and when I try to google it, I fall asleep.. Thanks.

you can't change cpu in laptops, only increase the ram if compatible.

For 500 pounds laptops can't handle demanding games like desktops.

I'd say check out few popular gaming laptops in your price range and read reviews about what people say about which games they are able to play.