Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Abdul Rahman

Going Sufi

Moose wasn't talking about that though, he was talking about the new age "spiritual but not religious" identity which has become trendy to adopt. Plus, true tasawwuf is to adopt the Sunnah... Like that famous saying went:

He who is a Faqi without being a Sufi is deficient

He who is a Sufi without being a Faqi is a heretic

Moose, our interactions:

Moose: Blurts long rambling dialogue with some question phrases thrown in sporadically. Solicits opinions

Queen Zimbabwe: blurts out a counter ramble, vaguely - but not entirely related to the first. End on a new random tangent

Moose: Hmmm yes, I think my first ramble was quite ramble-y. I realise that reading your counter-blurt. Thanks!

That's pretty accurate haha, take the final part as a compliment. I usually have the habit of carrying on debates forever (iiiiffff you havent noticed), so when I stop and say I need to reevaluate, that means I genuinely see the issues in my initial blurt lol

tasawwuf (practice of sufi) does address low self esteem, but first we need to understand what low self esteem is. It's a fear or cowardice at its roots. Also, egoism and low self confidence goes hand it hand. Low self esteemed people often delude them selves of being superior to others by some external means.

i dont get this. you think low self esteem people think they are superior?

i dont get this. you think low self esteem people think they are superior?

no, some egoistic people get egoistic because they are low self esteemed.

no, some egoistic people get egoistic because they are low self esteemed.

i think then theyre not egotistical? they might appear so to others, but deep down theyre just compensating for low confidence...no?

i think then theyre not egotistical? they might appear so to others, but deep down theyre just compensating for low confidence...no?

no these things don't work like that. also there is no such thing as 'deep down'.

when they feel superior to the door man and snob at him, they are truly feel superior. At the same time, if a smart person joins their firm, they do feel dumb and inadequate.

Interesting to read this thread while I had to wake up to my sister opening the curtain and letting the sunshine wake me up & sting my eyes. Grr.

What is the practical use of Sufi psychology?

Humans are too complex to have a 1 size fits all approach. Even combining them won't work for some individuals, especially when the causes are genetic. Although like Zim pointed out there is a big enviro influence that we also overlook, that isn't to say that genes are far behind. It's limited to those who will believe that it works.

Take a person who won't believe in the whole Sufi concept and would it be a placebo effect for those who do? Believing in something spiritual gives a high, but it isn't a permanent one.