Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lupin

They don't use kettles in the USA?!

So it has recently come to my attention that in the US of A, people don't use kettles, because apparently they don't work that well. Something to do with low voltage in the homes (if I understood this correctly )

So what Americans do instead to get boiling water? Use the stove, which makes sense, ideal for if you wanted desi tea, but some people apparently use the microwave!! What on Earth!!

I'm really struggling to get my head around the fact that some people have to microwave water to boil it.

And who knew that kettles are so "powerful", that the low voltage in USA homes mean they don't work well. Especially when I'm pretty sure in Pakistan the kettles work fine, in a country where they have to turn it off sometimes because there isn't enough electricity generated.

I'm flabbergasted, how the heck do you make a decent cup of tea? Although this explains how Trump got elected, your minds got scrambled by the lack of a decent cuppa.

What the heck, everyone uses kettles everywhere. I think someone lied to you! We use kettles in Canada and I would assume it's the same in the States.

Lack of kettles is not due to a problem in voltage, rather the choice of beverage. Coffee machines.

Desis use a pot on stove

So it has recently come to my attention that in the US of A, people don't use kettles, because apparently they don't work that well. Something to do with low voltage in the homes (if I understood this correctly )

So what Americans do instead to get boiling water? Use the stove, which makes sense, ideal for if you wanted desi tea, but some people apparently use the microwave!! What on Earth!!

I'm really struggling to get my head around the fact that some people have to microwave water to boil it.

And who knew that kettles are so "powerful", that the low voltage in USA homes mean they don't work well. Especially when I'm pretty sure in Pakistan the kettles work fine, in a country where they have to turn it off sometimes because there isn't enough electricity generated.

I'm flabbergasted, how the heck do you make a decent cup of tea? Although this explains how Trump got elected, your minds got scrambled by the lack of a decent cuppa.

correct me if I am wrong but you can have high voltage with little electricity. Current is the amount of charge (electricity) moving per unit time, so if you have a crappy electric supply it means you have a crappy current supply.

anyone can build a transformer to ramp up the voltage though.

in short: having high voltage has no indication on how good ur electric supply is

Lack of kettles is not due to a problem in voltage, rather the choice of beverage. Coffee machines.

Desis use a pot on stove

I'm sure they are a nation of coffee drinkers. Electric kettles are such a a basic kitchen item in the UK, and so it was that I found more odd, that they don't use them as much in the USA

I read the same thing a few days ago and thought it was the weirdest thing ever. But I was also wondering whether it had anything to do with the fact that many people in the US use coffee machines and aren't really tea drinkers, so then there wouldn't be much point to using a kettle. I barely use my kettle to be honest, I make my coffee in the microwave (half milk, half water and its amazing).

Coffee. We have coffee pots. All kinds. I boil water in the microwave cause it's fast, cheap, ubiquitous and all. Isn't "desi" tea like anyone elses?

We Brits need out kettles for tea. Americans like coffee more I guess? I am surprised to hear they don't really use kettles though. Its the staple item in a kitchen, that everyone has here.

I read the same thing a few days ago and thought it was the weirdest thing ever. But I was also wondering whether it had anything to do with the fact that many people in the US use coffee machines and aren't really tea drinkers, so then there wouldn't be much point to using a kettle. I barely use my kettle to be honest, I make my coffee in the microwave (half milk, half water and its amazing).

Try all milk, no water

Coffee. We have coffee pots. All kinds. I boil water in the microwave cause it's fast, cheap, ubiquitous and all. Isn't "desi" tea like anyone elses?

Desi tea is like silky smooth latte which is hot and aromatic. It quenches the thirsts and nourishes the being without the caffeine rush.

We have kettles. They go on the stove top. You're talking about electric kettles?

What do you do with the hot water?

I haven't seen anyone in NY use a kettle. I've seen people use a small Proctor brand electric water boiler for tea and coffee, coffee machines, and pots. I opt, for the pot, on a stove top.