Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
superman

Why does chat keep breaking

Do members know about pm too?

So clever, as usual lol. Yes, I'm aware. My point was that sure, I've talked about you in PM, chat and the SS. But that's not reason enough to go through it to check and see what I said about you when you wouldn't have otherwise lol. That's my opinion.

We don't read private chats unless there has been a complaint and we need to assess the situation. The general chat logs have always been read and monitored. We don't discuss anything unless there is a problem. We used to read them regularly when chat was very active, but I personally have not read them in a while because I thought no one used chat.

hey you can't just read chats man

if u want i can write a script that looks throught the chat log for naughty words so no one has to do any spying

just pm me the chat logs

hey you can't just read chats man

if u want i can write a script that looks throught the chat log for naughty words so no one has to do any spying

just pm me the chat logs

+ 1

So clever, as usual lol. Yes, I'm aware. My point was that sure, I've talked about you in PM, chat and the SS. But that's not reason enough to go through it to check and see what I said about you when you wouldn't have otherwise lol. That's my opinion.

We don't have access to PMs. (Unless this is something that I do not know). So PMs are private. Male mods do not have access to the SS and vice versa. Segregated sections are as safe as we can possibly make them, we even changed the entrance requirements quite drastically to ensure that it was not easy to get in.

Its very very very easy for a mod to make another account and give it access to a segregated section. People should be careful with what they post and not assume things will actually be kept 100% private.

Okay, so I may have come across as dismissive of this earlier, apologies, I was at work and it has been 'one of those days' and I have not been able to formulate full thoughts (not that that occurs on a regular basis any ways).

While it is good that Spider came clean, as it were, about his use of checking on the chat logs, at the same time it does warrant attention in that it is a breach of the moderator power and for that I apologise (and I think Spider does too). We will deal with this accordingly.

Just to reiterate, moderators do have the ability the read the chat logs, both public logs and private, at any time. The reasons are always to ensure that the guidelines are being followed and that no trouble has been caused by anyone. Specifically, we do not read private logs unless a member has a complaint about a private conversation and we therefore need to check it for evidence and such. We do not have access to reading Private Messages and the segregated sections are open only to female and male mods respectively and entrance is strictly monitored.

We should assume the best of each other and there's no good in speculating and making accusations but people should always be careful, we might all be Muslim and deserving of husn ad dhan but at the same time we have to be realistic and honest about protect ourselves so don't post anything super sensitive in the segregated sections that would harm you if it came out.

Its very very very easy for a mod to make another account and give it access to a segregated section. People should be careful with what they post and not assume things will actually be kept 100% private.

I thought about this too, but also even if they went anonymous a mod could see. I for one, do keep an eye on who is online and I keep the SS tab open as well and I have a habit of looking at who is online in the SS. So if someone strange and new came up, (mods can see private users), then I would definitely question it and do an IP check. But you are right to be cautious, I am not online all the time, and we should be cautious of what we post online always.

Okay, so I may have come across as dismissive of this earlier, apologies, I was at work and it has been 'one of those days' and I have not been able to formulate full thoughts (not that that occurs on a regular basis any ways).While it is good that Spider came clean, as it were, about his use of checking on the chat logs, at the same time it does warrant attention in that it is a breach of the moderator power and for that I apologise (and I think Spider does too). We will deal with this accordingly. Just to reiterate, moderators do have the ability the read the chat logs, both public logs and private, at any time. The reasons are always to ensure that the guidelines are being followed and that no trouble has been caused by anyone. Specifically, we do not read private logs unless a member has a complaint about a private conversation and we therefore need to check it for evidence and such. We do not have access to reading Private Messages and the segregated sections are open only to female and male mods respectively and entrance is strictly monitored.

Cub, i was making a general statement for people to be aware it was not in response to anyones actions.

:flower:

Cub, i was making a general statement for people to be aware it was not in response to anyones actions.

:flower:

Yeah, I got that. I wasn't meaning that Spider would do it or something. As I was typing I was thinking about how easy it would be for a mod to give themselves access through their own account or a new one. It was just random that popped into my head and then I saw your post.

I thought about this too, but also even if they went anonymous a mod could see. I for one, do keep an eye on who is online and I keep the SS tab open as well and I have a habit of looking at who is online in the SS. So if someone strange and new came up, (mods can see private users), then I would definitely question it and do an IP check. But you are right to be cautious, I am not online all the time, and we should be cautious of what we post online always.

Lol, im saying this based on my moderating days and how easy it was and the things people said and did to get access to the other side ;)

But yeah you're right about the anonymous part (but you can always log on when theres no users awake :wink: )

if a mod wants to read segregated section, all he or she has to do is to change password of a not too active user of the opposite gender and log in as that user. using a proxy to mask ip. tsk. armchairers!

That's why it is important to appoint a reasonable person as a moderator.

And don't forget, even without moderator power abuses, there has been plenty of some leaks and password exchanges between regular members to log into segregated section.

I ain't saying that the segregated sections are air tight, just that we've done whatever we can to make it as safe as possible. And yes, people can be douchey and have been douchey in the past and given passwords and what not to get in to the segregated sections. So yes, always be mindful of what you post in there and on the main forum, in general be mindful of what you post online, we aren't as anonymous as we think behind our usernames.