Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mufasa

When Bad Things Happen to Bad People...

There's that cliché question "why do bad things happen to good people?" that seems to perplex many (I'm not perplexed by it, FYI).

But it implies that good things should happen to good people and that we're okay with bad things happening to bad people. I don't think I'm any happier with bad things happening to bad people, though.

I'm not aiming to understand the Problem of Evil here, but only wanting to gauge whether others feel similarly.

My feeling could be one related to privilege. I.e. I might be happy if bad things were happening to bad people if I were in a war context, or if I felt a victim to something. But in my context, I think I'm very open to understanding others' points of view (and there basically always is another point of view).

I see everyone as their own little world unto themselves. It would be nice if each were happy. And if "evil" people lost their ability to do evil, but punishment is something else.

I get the sense that not everyone feels that way and people generally like the idea of revenge, punishment (maybe it's accountability), etc..

Good topic! I think it goes back to the idea of getting what we feel we 'deserve.' Like I wouldn't personally be able to grasp why significantly bad things happen to genuinely good people. But that's something I'll never understand because I am not the one causing these things to happen and they're pretty much out of my control. There are people who have treated me bad and I personally did nothing to deserve that kind of evil treatment, so when bad things happen to these people, I don't take any particular joy in it, but it certainly doesn't surprise me that bad things are happening in their life. I personally feel if they could just even have the courage to apologize or show remorse, there wouldn't be as much bad things happening to them. That's just my theory. I guess we just associate good with good and bad with bad, especially if it's something personal to us.

Kind of a tangent but even a word like 'deserve' gets complicated. Like we are born into any particular situation, without our choice, and some traits are inherent. So I've noticed, some people can just naturally be a good person, they don't have to try or work as hard as others. So how did they 'deserve' good things if they were given those traits of a good person? And same goes for people with predominately negative traits. Or even the environmental factors that led them to be a bad person, how did they 'deserve' any of it?

I think that all bad experiences can either be good or bad for you depending on how you react to those situations.

Also, it's easy to blame others or denigrate others when they treat you badly, or to think that they should apologize or something (and maybe rightly so), but yet sometimes we fail to realize that we ourselves may react in ways that make the situation even worse. Then we recount and rationalize things in a way which makes us feel as if we have the higher moral ground, with no faults of our own. In other words, many people just aren't very willing to take responsibility for their own actions, and they don't even realize this. I think there lies the more hidden but dangerous problem. And I think we all have this problem to some extent - thus, I try to remind myself also.