Jump to content
Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Breeze

What are you reading?

Recommended Posts

I couldn't find any book threads and I don't want to lose any recommendations. 

 

Okay so I am currently reading the "Harem Midwife,"  and my siblings saw it and were like "the haraam midwife." :mellow:

 

It's a historical book set in Constantinople in the 16th C (Ottoman Empire, 1578). So you get a lot of superstitious stuff about Nazr and the mix of faiths being introduced. It starts off really intense and goes into a midwife story. I want it to pick up with the storyline as I'm not keen about reading about superstitious stuff and midwifery. 

 

On my latest to-read list I have "the confident woman. Devotional." by Joyce Meyer and I found this while browsing through books and I think it's great for women especially coming from cultural and traditional roots to pick this up and realise that we should feel confident and our worth is so much more than how people have treated us. 

Next, I would love to read "The Clear Quran: A thematic translation." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poetry choice: the universe of us - Lang leav

Going to buy it soon. 👀😍 Bought it 🌹

wp-1474662658817.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading this blog and what she wrote. It goes back to my ancestry.

The princess poet wrote:

O King, I know you gave me poison

But I emerged,

Just like gold, burned in fire,

Comes out brighter as a thousand suns.

 

Just wow that burnssss.

Read more about her story in-depth here

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, superman said:

Doesn't even rhyme wat a rubbish poem

Rhymes can take away from the words. 

I'd like to see your poetry or rhyming skills. 

How about you show us how it's done :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Rhymes can take away from the words. 

I'd like to see your poetry or rhyming skills. 

How about you show us how it's done :)

wow wat r u on about 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superman said:

wow wat r u on about 

Such laddish behaviour. Much wow.

 

I said why don't you write a rhyme then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Such laddish behaviour. Much wow.

 

I said why don't you write a rhyme then

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, superman said:

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Maya Angelou? I knew I heard those lines before. Too bad, try harder Spud.

If you wrote that yourself, I would've been impressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Breeze said:

Maya Angelou? I knew I heard those lines before. Too bad, try harder Spud.

If you wrote that yourself, I would've been impressed. 

To write a poem you first must rhyme,

But I can see you pouting,

I realise you don't know that much,

As you studied writing

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, superman said:

To write a poem you first must rhyme,

But I can see you pouting,

I realise you don't know that much,

As you studied writing

 

 

 

That's good. Well done you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still reading Leviathan by Hobbes. Haven't had much time for leisure reading if I am being honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a weird way of reading. That is, I don't read from front to end of a book as most people do. I read the first chapter or two, and then I start to read by just opening the book and reading from wherever I feel like, in a more random fashion. For some reason reading that way makes it easier for me to stay focused and interested in what I'm reading. And I can also understand everything as I read, since I read non-fiction only, unlike fiction which has to be read from beginning to end without skipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Spider said:

I have a weird way of reading. That is, I don't read from front to end of a book as most people do. I read the first chapter or two, and then I start to read by just opening the book and reading from wherever I feel like, in a more random fashion. For some reason reading that way makes it easier for me to stay focused and interested in what I'm reading. And I can also understand everything as I read, since I read non-fiction only, unlike fiction which has to be read from beginning to end without skipping.

 

That's fair enough - but don't you feel like you get a worse experience as the book is designed to be read in order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spider said:

I have a weird way of reading. That is, I don't read from front to end of a book as most people do. I read the first chapter or two, and then I start to read by just opening the book and reading from wherever I feel like, in a more random fashion. For some reason reading that way makes it easier for me to stay focused and interested in what I'm reading. And I can also understand everything as I read, since I read non-fiction only, unlike fiction which has to be read from beginning to end without skipping.

That is how I read the Qu'ran translation. 

With other books when I do get dragged on - I would skim read but not randomly as it wouldn't make sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×