Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Breeze

What are you reading?

11 hours ago, superman said:

That's fair enough - but don't you feel like you get a worse experience as the book is designed to be read in order?

Well, sometimes I do wish I could read a book in order, just the way it should be, but once I start reading this way it feels like there is more of a demand and pressure on myself now. And then it reduces my comprehension somewhat (or it feels like that a little bit). So, then my brain tells me to read in a different way, in a more relaxed and care-free manner: to start reading from wherever I want to.

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

Well, sometimes I do wish I could read a book in order, just the way it should be, but once I start reading this way it feels like there is more of a demand and pressure on myself now. And then it reduces my comprehension somewhat (or it feels like that a little bit). So, then my brain tells me to read in a different way, in a more relaxed and care-free manner: to start reading from wherever I want to.

Haha this is how I read MM threads. Very randomly. 

I started reading a book titled Trying Not to Try, by Edward Slingerland.

The book elucidates on a Chinese philosophical concept called "wu-wei" (pronounced oo way), which has been given a paradoxical meaning, roughly translated as "doing through non-doing" or "effortless action." I was specifically looking for a book on this subject because it piqued my interested while I was reading articles about wu-wei on the internet.

Essentially, the author talks in length about the counter-intuitive effects of trying too hard or striving too much in life, and explains that instead there is a 'right' way to try, a kind of trying which is more natural, spontaneous, and effortless - or, in short, a matter of commitment vs. manipulation.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I started reading a book titled Trying Not to Try, by Edward Slingerland.

The book elucidates on a Chinese philosophical concept called "wu-wei" (pronounced oo way), which has been given a paradoxical meaning, roughly translated as "doing through non-doing" or "effortless action." I was specifically looking for a book on this subject because it piqued my interested while I was reading articles about wu-wei on the internet.

Essentially, the author talks in length about the counter-intuitive effects of trying too hard or striving too much in life, and explains that instead there is a 'right' way to try, a kind of trying which is more natural, spontaneous, and effortless - or, in short, a matter of commitment vs. manipulation.

The books you read require a lot of concentration and brain power. So is your reading habit related to that? 

Are you the same with fiction books that are easier to read through? 

On 11/29/2017 at 4:52 PM, Breeze said:

The books you read require a lot of concentration and brain power. So is your reading habit related to that?

I'm not sure, but I like to think that there's probably a relationship. The contents of a book are ordered in such a way so that the ideas or lessons being taught can be connected in a much easier manner. However, I seem to have a hyper-associative type of cognition, which means that I can easily find connections between something I read on page 6 and something else that I read on page 96, for example. So I can read in a pretty chaotic style and yet be able to understand quickly what the connections are.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:52 PM, Breeze said:

Are you the same with fiction books that are easier to read through? 

I don't even read fiction anymore.

5 hours ago, Spider said:

I'm not sure, but I like to think that there's probably a relationship. The contents of a book are ordered in such a way so that the ideas or lessons being taught can be connected in a much easier manner. However, I seem to have a hyper-associative type of cognition, which means that I can easily find connections between something I read on page 6 and something else that I read on page 96, for example. So I can read in a pretty chaotic style and yet be able to understand quickly what the connections are.

This all sounds very pretentious lol

7 hours ago, Spider said:

Spider, are you still studying now or are you working? 

1 hour ago, superman said:

I'll take the flak because I asked him the question. 

7 hours ago, Breeze said:

Spider, are you still studying now or are you working?

Neither, but I'm going to a vocational/employability type of program so that I can find something which is easier for me. I've already worked before, though.

Are you asking me that because I'm not on MM a lot these days?

9 hours ago, superman said:

Glad to know your opinion.

11 hours ago, Spider said:

Neither, but I'm going to a vocational/employability type of program so that I can find something which is easier for me. I've already worked before, though.

Are you asking me that because I'm not on MM a lot these days?

Yeah. My only concern when working is that I won't be using my skills enough and talking to people would feel like I'm losing brain cells. So I'd end up being alone. But then it's like how can I find that ideal job and does it even exist? I doubt it does.

I think I'm going to return the Harem midwife if it doesn't get better in the next chapter. I expected more from a historical novel.

Too much drama for my liking and less substance. I can't connect with the main character enough to want to read more.

I haven't had much time to read for leisure this year. I have four books on the stand, waiting to be read, two are Ursula Le Guin books that were recommended to me by a colleague and the other two (can't remember the authors or titles lol) from a book club that I stopped going to lol.

I have, however, made it a mission to read through ALL the Discworld novels, so I have been very slowly working my way through those. Managed to read three this year.

On 12/3/2017 at 1:40 PM, Breeze said:

I think I'm going to return the Harem midwife if it doesn't get better in the next chapter. I expected more from a historical novel.

Too much drama for my liking and less substance. I can't connect with the main character enough to want to read more.

:huh: