Maniac Muslim Forums
soulja

Random Islamic Questions

On 9/3/2017 at 8:22 PM, Mufasa said:

Did Jesus (as) & other prophets actually drink wine per mainstream Muslim interpretations?

As mentioned in the Old and New Testaments.

I believe so. It was a source of abrogation in the Quran and there are third party sources that talked about wine being drunk by almost everyone in the area where the old prophets lived such as Roman and Egyptian accounts. I think the wine was safer than water in many areas but that may be just my European roots showing

On 9/4/2017 at 4:22 AM, Mufasa said:

Did Jesus (as) & other prophets actually drink wine per mainstream Muslim interpretations?

As mentioned in the Old and New Testaments.

No evidence that they did in the Qur'an or Hadith so it can't be said for certain.

12 minutes ago, Hijab said:

Is it permissible to drink a non-alcoholic wine? 

Jazak Allaah for anyone who can answer

Ooh that exists? 

Yeah it does! I was also shocked :o  I got one like over two weeks ago. They do write its non-alcoholic, but there is still a very tiny amount like less than 0.5 %

10 minutes ago, Hijab said:

Yeah it does! I was also shocked :o  I got one like over two weeks ago. They do write its non-alcoholic, but there is still a very tiny amount like less than 0.5 %

I like the Schloer sparkling grape drinks, they're delicious. Does the wine one have a strong or sweet taste? 

Actually.. The one I got was horrible in taste, it had some rose flavour(?), I would not recommend it. I had a few sips and then I couldn't be bothered to finish the rest of my glass :ph34r:

On 9/18/2017 at 7:28 PM, Hijab said:

Actually.. The one I got was horrible in taste, it had some rose flavour(?), I would not recommend it. I had a few sips and then I couldn't be bothered to finish the rest of my glass :ph34r:

I have heard that non-alcoholic drinks because of the small amount of alcohol are not okay/halal. 

On 9/22/2017 at 11:28 AM, Breeze said:

I have heard that non-alcoholic drinks because of the small amount of alcohol are not okay/halal. 

There are many processes that create alcohol, as I'm sure you know. Vinegar being one. I think I read that it has to be less than or equal to 0.05% or 0.1 proof at the time of ingestion. 

So I have a question. I got several lectures and was treated as if I were in the verge of heresy the other day for saying I didn't see anything wrong with female imams. Isn't there historical precedent? And is it not allowed? And what is the deal with a woman's butt that makes prayer impossible? ( That last was the argument of a very emphatic Moroccan man

11 minutes ago, AROwnen said:

There are many processes that create alcohol, as I'm sure you know. Vinegar being one. I think I read that it has to be less than or equal to 0.05% or 0.1 proof at the time of ingestion. 

So I have a question. I got several lectures and was treated as if I were in the verge of heresy the other day for saying I didn't see anything wrong with female imams. Isn't there historical precedent? And is it not allowed? And what is the deal with a woman's butt that makes prayer impossible? ( That last was the argument of a very emphatic Moroccan man

there are valid arguments for female imams, although in very minority. Did you read that book (misquoting Muhammed (SAW)), it's in there.

But in the end of the day, the issue is that of a jurisprudence. These rules are derived methodically in a scholarly manner. Unfortunately, layman inject their own one liners. What makes sense for a morroccan man may seem silly to you. that's not heresy. Heresy would be to deny some well known thing in Islam. So it would be always prudent to hold your personal judgement before learning more about the subject.

1 hour ago, AROwnen said:

A woman's butt? 

I keep being told to pray in a certain way where I'm not raising my lower back, but I can't seem to concentrate without doing that. I've tried doing the other way that is more "womanly" as you're making yourself like a mouse and making sure the lower back is firmly planted onto the prayer mat. It doesn't work for me.

6 hours ago, Haku said:

there are valid arguments for female imams, although in very minority. Did you read that book (misquoting Muhammed (SAW)), it's in there.

But in the end of the day, the issue is that of a jurisprudence. These rules are derived methodically in a scholarly manner. Unfortunately, layman inject their own one liners. What makes sense for a morroccan man may seem silly to you. that's not heresy. Heresy would be to deny some well known thing in Islam. So it would be always prudent to hold your personal judgement before learning more about the subject.

5 hours ago, Breeze said:

A woman's butt? 

I keep being told to pray in a certain way where I'm not raising my lower back, but I can't seem to concentrate without doing that. I've tried doing the other way that is more "womanly" as you're making yourself like a mouse and making sure the lower back is firmly planted onto the prayer mat. It doesn't work for me.

No worries Haku, my prime survival strategy for masjid is bumbling white guy who doesn't interrupt. Whenever I say anything I plant a quizzical look on my face and say it in the form of a question.  The masjid is full of frustrated lecturers who stand way too close for my comfort. The Moroccan man is actually a friend who got me a thobe and wool hat so we can go around like twins. No lie.  

Breeze- I don't know what to say. The imagining of a woman trying to bow and plant her backside seems awkward and painful? If it makes you feel better I creak like a wooden gate in the wind when I pray. Loud enough to get quick glances.  Forget about sitting my haunches on my heels with my toes pointing front. Easier to bend a rail spike. Lol

Here's to hoping Sage Sky or Haku might see this.

I heard that the Prophet had good companions and he needed them? If not for them, he would've struggled.

Well, that makes me think about how I've lived without good companions (friends) in my life. Whether I should've 'needed' them. 

And what problems that can create in a person when they are without that social support.

I've grown quite used to be alone and even liking my own company at times. 

On 2017/09/26 at 7:15 PM, Breeze said:

A woman's butt? 

I remember, when I was in Islamic school as a child, that the females were always taught to do this, have your bum as low to the ground as possible when praying. Noone explained why though lol Sometimes the teachers would come and put their foot on your lower back to try and get you to lower your bum. It works for some and it doesn't work for others, weight also plays a role, as I've gotten fatter it has been harder to do. Anyways, going off on a tangent here, to get to it, I don't think this means anything though and is just something that has been made up recently. I mean, sure you can't be flopping all over the place but you should be able to pray ina  way that is comfortable for you and where you concentrate easier. I remember the story of, and I can't remember who this was, a prophet (I could be wrong) who saw a man praying and the man was doing it in his own way but had such passion and a connection with God and the other went over to him and told him he mustn't pray like that and showed him what to do and when the man went back and saw the other (the guy he taught to pray) the man was struggling with connecting to God because he stuck on the actions. And an angel came to the man (who did the teaching) and said to him that it would have been better if he left the other man alone. (I could be talking complete hogwash and this isn't an Islamic example, but I remember something to this effect that I read years ago). So it made me not care about what other people think about how I pray because, unless I am doing something completely outrageous, I'll do what works for me. 

On 2017/09/15 at 1:10 PM, Hijab said:

Is it permissible to drink a non-alcoholic wine? 

Jazak Allaah for anyone who can answer

Depends on school of thought I think. Personally, if something any amount of alcohol in it, no matter how small I won't drink it but there are some schools of thought that say its okay if it is less that 1% (or something like that) and this is how many Muslims justify eating Hagen Daz ice cream, for example. 

In SA if its non-alcholic it means absolutely no alcohol in it. I have seen wine that has zero alcohol in it, don't know why they call it wine though lol its bascially grape juice. 

5 hours ago, cubster said:

Depends on school of thought I think. Personally, if something any amount of alcohol in it, no matter how small I won't drink it but there are some schools of thought that say its okay if it is less that 1% (or something like that) and this is how many Muslims justify eating Hagen Daz ice cream, for example. 

In SA if its non-alcholic it means absolutely no alcohol in it. I have seen wine that has zero alcohol in it, don't know why they call it wine though lol its bascially grape juice. 

say good bye to apples, oranges, pears .. etc and maybe even coke and pepsi