Maniac Muslim Forums
soulja

Random Islamic Questions

^ how about a little common sense?

I asked a question because I do not understand the issue properly. Yeah, I don't have common sense. If you can't answer, then no need to be so arrogant either.

^ how about answering a direct question you patronising beep?

Thank you Zim.

I think Veno is asking because there is a discrepancy between what many people have said (navel to knees) and common sense.

Well in some cultures going topless is common sense sooooo

Exactly.

I'm asking because some people like to call other women really bad stuff if they wear a shoulder-less dress or something in front of their mahrams. And there are women who dress really, really indecently (indecent in many people's opinion) in front of mahram males and claim that it is allowed Islamically, so nobody has the right to tell them to dress better. For example, these women don't mind breastfeeding, with the breasts being fully exposed, in front of their father or brother, or having them in the same room when they are giving birth, or dancing in a mini dress in front of them. And there are people who say that a woman has to cover her body (except head,face, neck and forearms) in front of mahram males....so that would make wearing a sleeveless top or knee-length skirt at home haram, right? So I'm just confused as to how much is allowed in Islam, because it may be that what I feel to be indecent is perfectly acceptable.

Ma'am. I don't mean to be rude, but you haven't answered the question either....

If that was for me, then I don't have the answer. What I do have is the desire to not watch people get shut down for asking questions just because grumpy old men consider their questions dumb or 'lacking common sense' however!

If that was for me, then I don't have the answer. What I do have is the desire to not watch people get shut down for asking questions just because grumpy old men consider their questions dumb or 'lacking common sense' however!

**mental image of Haku with dentures.**

Venom, I don't have an answer, but I think legalistically -- to the letter of the law -- it's okay so long as naval to knees (and I've heard also stomach and back?) are covered.

But I think what Haku was getting at, in a rude way, was that there are also cultural norms and standards. Don't think you should do something totally inappropriate per your societal norms either.

Yes, I think the issue bleeds into several issues Islamically- the legal boundaries of awrah, the 'urfi standards (cultural norms of your people) and general conduct of hayah.

For me, I don't find it scandalous ('ayb, sharam- or whatever other word) to breastfeed in front of my father or brother (and they don't bat an eyelid)- but of course grinding down twerking in front of any male relative (except a husband with strange taste) would seem off by anybody's standards I'd think.

Yes, I think the issue bleeds into several issues Islamically- the legal boundaries of awrah, the 'urfi standards (cultural norms of your people) and general conduct of hayah.

For me, I don't find it scandalous ('ayb, sharam- or whatever other word) to breastfeed in front of my father or brother (and they don't bat an eyelid)- but of course grinding down twerking in front of any male relative (except a husband with strange taste) would seem off by anybody's standards I'd think.

Yeahhh no grinding/twerking in front of them is normal in some cultures too.

What is the awrah of a Muslim woman in front of other Muslim women and mahram men? I have heard many people say "from navel to knees", but does that mean that everything else can be left uncovered in front of her father, brother, uncle etc?

It depends on what is normal for your family. If your parents and siblings prefer to be fully clothed at all times then obviously that would be the norm for you but in situations where you need to expose yourself such as breast feeding, you can without concern about whether it is allowed or not Islamically.

Anyone have a good explanation for the "hadith of the pen and paper." That hadith feels so uncomfortable and I haven't found good explanations for it. If you don't know what it is - don't worry - you're unlikely to have a good explanation then. Genuinely curious and slew of Sunni-Shia related questions and discussion topics likely to follow :P

Anyone have a good explanation for the "hadith of the pen and paper." That hadith feels so uncomfortable and I haven't found good explanations for it. If you don't know what it is - don't worry - you're unlikely to have a good explanation then. Genuinely curious and slew of Sunni-Shia related questions and discussion topics likely to follow :P

yasir qadhi's seerah series goes into some detail. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAEA99D24CA2F9A8F

you'll have to locate the exact episode.try one of the last episodes.

but the sunni explanation isn't that convoluted. Since the incident, Prophet SAW remained few more days, and on some days he was felling better, but there was no effort to bring the issue back. The disagreement by Umar is attributed to his judgement, and difference in opinion is nothing new.

After you've shaved a newborn baby's hair, are you meant to bury the hair? I've never heard anything about burying the hair before.

After you've shaved a newborn baby's hair, are you meant to bury the hair? I've never heard anything about burying the hair before.

I was asked to do this to a month ago when we had a baby, couldn't find any reference.