Maniac Muslim Forums
soulja

Random Islamic Questions

Are you one of those individuals who say that there are no 'Ulama in the UK?

'Such and such is majhool to our Mashaayikh and Kibaar' as they say...

Absolutely not. But I don't believe there have been any solid 'Ulama born in the UK yet.

Absolutely not. But I don't believe there have been any solid 'Ulama born in the UK yet.

Hmm, that's a balanced and calculated judgement. I have come across extremely talented and 'scholarly' Scholars born here, however not someone who is a complete polymath and head and shoulders above the rest. But there is definitely the talent and potential there.

Having said that, do we require a 'Grand Shaykh'? Or is it more appropriate and beneficial to have a consortium of Scholars, each engaged in different fields to co-operate together and deal with the religious situations of British Muslims?

This might come across as blasphemous :unsure: I've always heard the Holy Quran being spoken of as 'Allah's Word' but sometimes this thought comes in my head that there are stories and quotations of so many people in the Holy Quran, like conversations between Pharaoh and Musa (AS), and duas of the Prophets and the conversation between the two gardeners in Surah Kahf. So do those parts also count as 'Allah's Word'? Because they're actually somebody else's words...?

Hmm, that's a balanced and calculated judgement. I have come across extremely talented and 'scholarly' Scholars born here, however not someone who is a complete polymath and head and shoulders above the rest. But there is definitely the talent and potential there.

Having said that, do we require a 'Grand Shaykh'? Or is it more appropriate and beneficial to have a consortium of Scholars, each engaged in different fields to co-operate together and deal with the religious situations of British Muslims?

That's the thing. We have a lot of brothers and sisters in the UK who are quite knowledgable. But how many are properly equipped to answer a question like "what is riba?"? Most would probably just quote a basic definition of it. A proper scholar in the traditional sense would be able to find multiple definitions for it, information on the exact structure of the word (the use of al-riba as opposed to just riba, and is there a difference?), alongside the entire rich Islamic scholarship surrounding the topic from the Prophet (PBUH) until now. I'm sure many brothers and sisters could write a PhD thesis on the topic of Riba. But how many could write that much simply on the word itself from an Islamic perspective, without waffling?

I don't think we require a grand sheikh at all. For the most part I think for the day to day needs of Muslims, the wide breadth of basic knowledge available online suffices when coupled with the fatawa issued by the European Council of Fatwa and Research. It's a diverse enough body and no one member really controls it, plus it offers a breadth of respected scholars for the opinions coming out of it to be representative of ijmaa'.

For anyone who wants to delve into complexities they are best off learning directly from these scholars, or attending an Islamic studies course at a reputable university so they can attain basic scholarly knowledge in a specific field. But having a UG (or even a PhD) in fiqh/uloom al Quran/Hadith studies etc. doesn't qualify one as an 'Aalim despite what a number of people I've met holding these qualifications may believe.

This might come across as blasphemous :unsure: I've always heard the Holy Quran being spoken of as 'Allah's Word' but sometimes this thought comes in my head that there are stories and quotations of so many people in the Holy Quran, like conversations between Pharaoh and Musa (AS), and duas of the Prophets and the conversation between the two gardeners in Surah Kahf. So do those parts also count as 'Allah's Word'? Because they're actually somebody else's words...?

You ask a really good question. It was debated between scholars for centuries whether or not the Qur'an is the literal word of Allah.

If you want the short answer: the majority of Sunni scholars today adopt the view that the Qur'an is the literal word of Allah.

For the long answer read up on the Mu'tazilites.

On to the actual specific subject of your question, the fact that conversations are narrated in the Qur'an featuring set people doesn't negate the fact that the Qur'an is the literal word of Allah. If I narrated a story to you where conversation between two people was in that story, it still counts as me literally telling you the story, as such it is my word.

You ask a really good question. It was debated between scholars for centuries whether or not the Qur'an is the literal word of Allah.

If you want the short answer: the majority of Sunni scholars today adopt the view that the Qur'an is the literal word of Allah.

For the long answer read up on the Mu'tazilites.

On to the actual specific subject of your question, the fact that conversations are narrated in the Qur'an featuring set people doesn't negate the fact that the Qur'an is the literal word of Allah. If I narrated a story to you where conversation between two people was in that story, it still counts as me literally telling you the story, as such it is my word.

Thanks!

Whoever conceals the faults of a muslim, Allah will conceal their faults in this life and the Hereafter

To which extent should we conceal the faults of others?

Jazak Allaahu khayr

To which extent should we conceal the faults of others?

Jazak Allaahu khayr

To the extent that you want your own faults to be concealed?

But in case of marriage, you are allowed to tell if it's something major that affects the other person, not just to get your back at someone.

I get what you mean....

When someone is cheating or doing fraud with money, is that something that should be concealed? :/

I get what you mean....

When someone is cheating or doing fraud with money, is that something that should be concealed? :/

No, 'covering sins' doesn't include financial transactions and business/trade. That is compromising people's right not to be cheated.

I know that many scholars make a distinction between being a Muslim and being a mu'min (believer), or between Islam and iman, and there are also verses in the Quran that seem to support this. In short then: all believers are Muslims, but not all Muslims are believers.

So we can argue that someone could be a Muslim but yet not a mu'min.

But, what do you guys think? Is this view correct, in your opinion?