Maniac Muslim Forums
soulja

Random Islamic Questions

I know that many scholars make a distinction between being a Muslim and being a mu'min (believer), or between Islam and iman, and there are also verses in the Quran that seem to support this. In short then: all believers are Muslims, but not all Muslims are believers.

So we can argue that someone could be a Muslim but yet not a mu'min.

But, what do you guys think? Is this view correct, in your opinion?

I think outside of driving towards Iman ourselves, I.e. The status of total belief, we shouldn't as laypeople discuss such a matter. I say this because the matter of Iman is 'ilm-ul-ghayb (knowledge of the unseen), as the status of one being counted a Mu'min is only known by Allah (SWT).

The only benefit of discussing whether a Muslim is a Mu'min or not would be to look at the characteristics of the latter group as described in the Quran and Hadith, and try to emulate them as such. Delving into the actual matter however I think is best left to our scholars, and even amongst them, best left to those who are experts in Aqidah (creed).

For me at least, discussing matters connected to 'ilm-ul-ghayb (the status of belief) is far beyond my scope.

Thank you for your candid response, Mo. It was thought-provoking.

I find this part a little bit ironic:

Delving into the actual matter however I think is best left to our scholars, and even amongst them, best left to those who are experts in Aqidah (creed).

because the status of belief is probably the most important issue for us (at least regarding our own status) and is one of the most oft-repeated themes in the Quran, and yet the actual matter is far beyond our scope?

I think that it's okay to discuss matters of imaan - but as long as we do so with a reasonably low level of confidence (since only Allah knows the truth) and not point to anyone specific.

This hadith talks about the difference

While we were one day sitting with the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), there appeared before us a man dressed in extremely white clothes and with very black hair. No traces of journeying were visible on him, and none of us knew him. He sat down close by the Prophet (peace be upon him), rested his knee against his thighs, and said, "O Muhammad! Inform me about Islam."

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, "Islam is that you should testify that there is no deity except Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger, that you should perform salah, pay the Zakah, fast during Ramadan, and perform Hajj to the House, if you are able to do so."

The man said, "You have spoken truly." We were astonished at his questioning him (the Messenger) and telling him that he was right, but he went on to say, "Inform me about iman."

He (the Messenger of Allah) answered, "It is that you believe in Allah and His angels and His Books and His Messengers and in the Last Day, and in qadar (fate), both in its good and in its evil aspects." He said, "You have spoken truly."

Then he (the man) said, "Inform me about Ihsan." He (the Messenger of Allah) answered, "It is that you should serve Allah as though you could see Him, for though you cannot see Him yet (know that) He sees you."

He said, "Inform me about the Hour." He (the Messenger of Allah) said, "About that, the one questioned knows no more than the questioner." So he said, "Well, inform me about the signs thereof." He said, "They are that the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress, that you will see the barefooted, naked, destitute, the herdsmen of the sheep (competing with each other) in raising lofty buildings." Thereupon the man went of. I waited a while, and then he (the Messenger of Allah) said, "O Umar, do you know who that questioner was?" I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know better." He said, "That was Jibril (the Angel Gabriel). He came to teach you your religion."

Thank you for your candid response, Mo. It was thought-provoking.

I find this part a little bit ironic:

because the status of belief is probably the most important issue for us (at least regarding our own status) and is one of the most oft-repeated themes in the Quran, and yet the actual matter is far beyond our scope?

I think that it's okay to discuss matters of imaan - but as long as we do so with a reasonably low level of confidence (since only Allah knows the truth) and not point to anyone specific.

In a nutshell...

Iman and 'Aqeedah are not one and the same thing. Iman is a simple concept (action upon it however is a different matter). Even children know what Iman is. In most Makaatib the following statements are taught to young children: 'Aamantu billahi wa malaa'ikatihi, wa kutubihi, wa rusulihi etc'. Now these Makaatib are traditionally run by learned individuals who studied in their motherlands and thus teach these children using parrot-fashion repetition techniques' with the child not understanding what he/she is reciting. Nonetheless, the words of Iman have been and still are being taught to children in a simple manner.

Aqeedah is a differentiater, or a yard stick to categorise individuals/groups according to their theological outlooks on certains aspects pertaining to Iman. Ultimately it is used to differentiate between Ahlus Sunnah and 'Non-Ahlus Sunnah'. Iman is not influenced by politics, geographical location, wealth and economy etc whilst Aqeedah most definitely is.

I thought the definition of a believer was Muslim. So all Muslims are believers, but not all believers are Muslim

There are stations of belief- so the Muslim submits, the Mu'min is of a superior level of awareness of God and the Muhsin is one who has developed perfection in his state with his Lord. The hadith Poxy quoted is often used to describe the differences between each stage. You'll find similarly in the Qur'an, the different states and stations of the soul and the heart are given similar categorisations. It teases the nuances within these huge concepts.

Im living in a house with a dog, how do i manage this situation.

1) can i ensure the dog stays away from me in a different area? No, not my house.

2) can i ensure dog doesn't come near me? No cant control dog and its too friendly and goes to everyone.

3) can i change clothes everytime dog comes near me? no, i packed in a mad rush with two hours to go and i only got 3 pairs of clothes and where im staying there is no washing machine and tumble dryer- THANK GOD I GOT WIFI.

Also what does it mean to wash something seven times? Im gonna be hand washing my clothes so can i just scrub and stop x 7?