Maniac Muslim Forums
soulja

Random Islamic Questions

I sought Sh. Abdullah al Judai's advice when it came to dogs (my mum adopted a pair). He said dog saliva can't be classed as najis because of this hadith:

Muslim (2978) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog that is not a dog for hunting, herding livestock or farming, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.”

He said that because dogs are permitted for hunting, and thus their fangs sink into the game (along with the dog saliva), yet the fact you can still eat the game, it can't possibly be najis. Of course there is ikhtilaf on this matter and scholars of taqlid will go with the age old opinions of the madhahab, but that opinion isn't as unanimous as some people claim it to be.

Also a quick search found that several prominent Azhari scholars have similar views to Sh. al Judai: https://egyptianstreets.com/2014/05/14/dogs-are-not-impure-says-prominent-islamic-scholar/

How can we know if the money we earn is halal or haram? For example, if I work as a sales assistant or manager in the clothes section of a department store (for example, Harvey Nichols) but that brand also engages in haram stuff (like selling wine), is my job halal? I'm not directly involved in the process of wine or other haram stuff, but because I work for the same store, is it okay? Or not?

I know it might be a simple/stupid question but I really am confused, so please help me out! Thank you.

say, you carry your arrow in its thing, and a bird pooped on it. You didn't realize until you shot it.

or say you slaughtered an animal. The assistant runs to you and says "Did you use this knife? That goat peed all over it just two minutes ago and I left it there to wash it later"

Meat is permissible or no?

Sh. al Judai's answer (my paraphrasing and translation):

There are three opinions held by scholars as to what qualifies as najis:

1) any form of excrement from any animal or human;

2) any form of excrement from any animal that is not permissible to eat or human, refer to the fact drinking camel urine has been allowed for its purported medicinal benefits or the fact manure is used in farming;

3) only human excrement considered najis, which is his opinion too, refer to Hadith about wild dogs who came and excreted in the Prophet (PBUH) mosque (a muddy/sandy floor mosque), where the feces was simply removed and the urine left to evaporate/dry, whereas when a Bedouin man came and urinated in the mosque the Prophet (PBUH) instructed that the area he had peed on have water poured on it.

He then further explained that while something may be considered gadhir, which is another word for dirt/filth, it is not necessarily najis in the Shariah because unless it is explicitly described as najis as in the case of human feces and urine, then it is simply gadhir, human spit/phlegm being an example of that.

So no, a bird pooping on an arrow wouldn't make the meat impermissible, but a human peeing on the meat would.

Well that was his answer.

In Surah Naml, it is mentioned that Prophet Sulayman (peace be upon him) threatened to kill the hoopoe for being absent from the army. Doesn't this sound harsh, and go against Islam's nature of mercy and love for all, especially animals? Isn't it a bit ridiculous to kill a bird over such a small thing?

In Surah Naml, it is mentioned that Prophet Sulayman (peace be upon him) threatened to kill the hoopoe for being absent from the army. Doesn't this sound harsh, and go against Islam's nature of mercy and love for all, especially animals? Isn't it a bit ridiculous to kill a bird over such a small thing?

The story involves a talking bird who doesn't show up for his war duties. There must be more to the story than its literal meaning. The animal rights end of this would be the last thing to stand out to me. When you're dealing with a talking bird with the ability to rationalize, understand humans, and speak, I think the typical rules change?

The story involves a talking bird who doesn't show up for his war duties. There must be more to the story than its literal meaning. The animal rights end of this would be the last thing to stand out to me. When you're dealing with a talking bird with the ability to rationalize, understand humans, and speak, I think the typical rules change?

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks :)

^ I think it's also an allegory to the punishment of a traitor or deserter when preparing for war, if I recall correctly.

SO, I heard that women can't wear their hair in a bun when going outside, and there's actually a hadeeth to support this:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are two types of the people of Hell whom I have not yet seen: people with whips like the tails of cattle with which they strike the people, and women who are clothed yet naked, astray and leading others astray, with their heads like the humps of camels, leaning to one side. They will not enter Paradise nor even smell its fragrance, although it fragrance may be detected from such and such a distance.”  Narrated by Muslim, 2128. 

Many scholars have commented that this condemnation includes the bun. 

Now my question is, is this something that applies even now? Because for some women, it is a matter of convenience and it is easier for them to just put their hair in a bun instead of some other style.

11 minutes ago, Venomystic said:

SO, I heard that women can't wear their hair in a bun when going outside, and there's actually a hadeeth to support this:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are two types of the people of Hell whom I have not yet seen: people with whips like the tails of cattle with which they strike the people, and women who are clothed yet naked, astray and leading others astray, with their heads like the humps of camels, leaning to one side. They will not enter Paradise nor even smell its fragrance, although it fragrance may be detected from such and such a distance.”  Narrated by Muslim, 2128. 

Now my question is, is this something that applies even now? Because for some women, it is a matter of convenience and it is easier for them to just put their hair in a bun instead of some other style.

This has also been applied to the Camel Hijab style and the Turban. 

5 hours ago, Venomystic said:

The defining characteristic isn't what they are wearing but that they are astray and lead others astray. Unless you selectively quote from the Hadith you can't come at the conclusion that wearing buns is haram, because this isn't the most defining characteristic. 

Should adolescents or children talk like "Allah says you should do this." ? I just want to know because isn't it dangerous to talk as if you're God?

15 hours ago, Jiyabreeze2 said:

Should adolescents or children talk like "Allah says you should do this." ? I just want to know because isn't it dangerous to talk as if you're God?

let it go gurl

1 hour ago, Jiyabreeze2 said:

In third world countries like Bangladesh, I saw on a YouTube vid that there are brothels and prostitution in some places is allowed. So women out of care for their families, end up as generations of prostitutes.

I mean is it a sin on them, they are trying to support their family? Knowing society they don't accept you as a prostitute so there is no way out.

Prostitution exists at all levels of society in all societies in the world throughout most of recorded history (I am unsure if there was prostitution in hunter-gatherer societies and early agricultural societies, but there probably were people who lived off their capacity to provide sexual pleasure). 

As to the topic itself, it is haram for certain. After all they're fornicating and if they solicit (many do) then they're enticing others to fornicate too. On the other hand if they have been coerced by gangsters or loan sharks (often is the case in poorer communities), then it is an entirely different situation as they aren't necessarily acting on their own free will.

And Islam isn't a black and white religion, and in their desperation people turn to desperate measures, they are more than often products of circumstance. Whether or not Allah forgives them is entirely up to Him.

One of the most notable Hadith with regards to ethics mentions how the Prophet (PBUH) told the story of a prostitute who gave a thirsty dog water from her shoe in order to quench its thirst, and how Allah granted her a place in Jannah as a reward.

So to sum up: yes its generally haram, no we don't know if Allah will punish them for it. 

Generally speaking though as fellow human beings we should show sympathy for people in such situations, and where possible, try and alleviate their suffering. 

Did Jesus (as) & other prophets actually drink wine per mainstream Muslim interpretations?

As mentioned in the Old and New Testaments.