Maniac Muslim Forums
Iris

Random IT Questions

Does anyone know any good free software for burning video dvd's? Preferably those that burn any video file format (avi. wmv. etc) and not have to convert to VIDEO_TS files please?

Jazak Allah Khair

Salaams, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I think my university email account has been hacked into and someone is sending 1000s of emails from my account. (No joke, in just 24 hours over 7000 emails have been sent). I am not sure if this is a virus or a hacking. How do I stop this? I emailed the university who are unhelpful (as usual), I've reset my password and this is still going on. Please help... any advice much appreciated.. Jzk in advance

Salaams, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I think my university email account has been hacked into and someone is sending 1000s of emails from my account. (No joke, in just 24 hours over 7000 emails have been sent). I am not sure if this is a virus or a hacking. How do I stop this? I emailed the university who are unhelpful (as usual), I've reset my password and this is still going on. Please help... any advice much appreciated.. Jzk in advance

You need to contact your university internal IT dept/administrator and they will sort it.

Cherry, I already did this, they just reset my password and haven't got back to me again after my numerous emails saying the problem is still there.

Cherry, I already did this, they just reset my password and haven't got back to me again after my numerous emails saying the problem is still there.

How is the hacker still using your account? Maybe they inserted some virus or bot in the email system?

This could be a case where a spammer is pretending to be you.

you know the email header? The 'see more details' part? Post it here.

Most likely you have a keylogger on your computer.

Is there no way you can contact them such as calling them or going to see them? Because it is an account on your universitys network there is nothing much you can do.

Jzk guys, alhumdulillah the problem is finally resolved... I had to clear 10000 emails manually!!! University mail is terrible! What I think happened was that the account was hacked and 10000 emails were sent, all of which were undelivered so I kept getting them all back in my inbox as undelivered messages. So after the password was changed again, the emails stopped being sent but all the previous undelivered ones were still coming back to me. In the end, the IT dept got back to me after numerous chasing and just blocked the account that the undelivered messages were being sent from.

On a funny note, my name was changed to Craig Smith so when I was sending genuine emails before I realised this, they were coming up as from Craig!

I am still concerned though as I thought uni mail was safer than say hotmail for example, and for secure things I'm used to providing that email account. I'm not so sure any more, and if it's happened once, its more than likely to happen again.

Mo - what is a keylogger?

Keyloggers log your keystrokes, each and every one. Right from the A-Z, 0-9, Shift, backspace etc. all of them. That way anyone who has access to the keylog can know what you typed. That is why most online transactions use a virtual keyboard, you point and click in such instances and hence your keys cannot be logged. There are two ways of keylogging. Check the keyboard port of your computer. If the keyboard wire (includes the male connector) is attached to a rectangular object or anything apart from directly being connected to the computer port, then you have a hardware keylogger. Remove it.

The software loggers are tough to detect. Keep your PC scanned, sterlized and protected.

Not if you are connecting through an unencrypted network. FTPs, Telnet etc, transfer your password in character format, which means, if your password is LOLOL, then it is transmitted as such. Universities don't usually imploy such connections, but if they do anyone with a sniffer can see what you are transmitting. Its like eavesdropping :)

Secondly, secure your wireless connection.