Maniac Muslim Forums

Guest Sister Who
Its bad and its probably haram?

536525[/snapback]

you sure bout that?

Its bad and its probably haram?

536525[/snapback]

I don't know about haram. It's definitely ungrateful towards Allah that one is willfully hurting the body.

I think it's sad. It obviously results from a lack of a proper idea of body image, low self-esteem, and unrealistic expectations of what 'beauty' is.

It's so gross though, I mean the people who do it think they're actually going to help themselves get thin but a whole load of extra medical problems come along with it - especially all the acid that gets produced in the stomach from throwing up forcefully.

Unless it isnt medically prescribed (and I dont even know when that is), and assuming Im right in thinking that this is where you stick fingers down your gob to make you vomit, and so harming your body, of course its haraam...

I think I have inverse bulimia. I eat and eat and eat, but just don't do the whole throwing up bit afterwards. Almost everything makes me hungry and the last/next meal is never far off my mind.

Imam Ghazali's work on 'Breaking the Two Desires' is about our sexual/'food' desires and I really think the latter is not given as much attention as it should.

I heart food way too much.

It's so gross though, I mean the people who do it think they're actually going to help themselves get thin

536551[/snapback]

The problem is that they don't think this. They are most often in a state of denial and that's why its one of the eating disorders that has a psychological basis. There are many other eating disorders with no link to a person's psych but anorexia and bulimia are linked to an individual's psych.

You've gotta make sure you differenciate with Bulimia and Anorexia.

Anorexia is when you a person has a distorted idea of their body weight and have a fear of becoming fat despite being very anorexic and so they don't eat much in the first place. Whereas Bulimic's binge eat and then use unappropriate methods to prevent weight gain such as vomiting, exessive exercise or misuse of laxatives.

{I think that's right.. :unsure:}

There are quite a few explanations to explain the behaviour:

- Biological Explanations

*Genetic causes

*Brain structure [abnormal functioning with the hypothalamus]

*Brain chemistry [low levels of serotonin]

[but the problem with the last 2 is that it's not clear whether they are the causes of effects of the eating disorder.]

- Psychological explanations

*Family systems theory [it views each family as a system of interacting parts and when one member of the family has an eating disorder, it shows that there is a problem with the family as a whole.

*Cognitive approach - looks at factors such as distortion of body images

*Learning Theory

[anorexics learn to associate eating wuth anxiety --> become anxious because they think that being overweight is unattractive --> want to lose weight to reduce anxiety --> weight loss then becomes associated wuth relief from an unpleasant feeling.

People may associate food avoidance with the reward of the attention it gains.

For bulimics, bingeing causes anxiety and the purging is refinforced because it reduces anxiety.]

The thing is, Bulimia Nervosa affects mostly woman [5% of cases are in men] and it occurs mostly in Western cultures. When young girls [or boys] are surrounded by photoshopped pictures of stick thin beautiful women [or men] they associate that with fame and being attractive.

Guest Sister Who
I was just reading the bulimia thread...

If someone does force themselves to be sick, not to loose wieght, or intentionally harm themselves, or for any other reason other than the fact that they cant seem to hold down food so they vomit... is this "haram" ?

536749[/snapback]

Sister Who...

If they vomit because it was their bodies reflex to the food, then it is a disease and they should get themselves checked by a doctor, and take appropriate medication. To deny yourself good health and medication to make yourself healthier, in itself would be a sin.

However, whether you like the food or not, if you induce vomiting in yourself (as is the case here),  it is sinful. Causing harm to yourself, whether intentional or not.

Salam.

Peace.

536758[/snapback]

Q:Is it Haraam?

If she's throwing it all up - then it's bulimia.

And yes, it is haraam. I think that'll be a good way to get her attention - show her that what she's doing isnt right islamically and for her own health.

If she continues she could end up with medical problems such as losing tooth enamel due to all that acid washing over her teeth when she vomits.

Good luck with it. :)