Maniac Muslim Forums

I’ve been struggling with bulimia nervosa for 4 years now. I don’t do it because I find joy or because I think I’ll get thin. Not because I want to harm myself either. It’s just a mindset that started years ago and many different factors had triggered it. Now I am too weak to stop. I do have faith in Allah. I don’t want to be a bad muslim because of something that I’m not in control of. You may not understand if you haven’t been through it. There’s no way for you to say whether it is haram or not. 

As'salaamualaikum, Yasmin.

Welcome to the forum. As it is a forum, you will have conversations like these going back and forth. Bulimia is a physical, but more so, mental condition. Seeking help is the first step to overcoming it and getting a therapist will help you to find the underlying cause behind why you do it and breaking the habit, inshaAllah. At the end of the day, bulimia causes much damage to your body and isn't sustainable 😕

On 5/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, Yasmin said:

I’ve been struggling with bulimia nervosa for 4 years now. I don’t do it because I find joy or because I think I’ll get thin. Not because I want to harm myself either. It’s just a mindset that started years ago and many different factors had triggered it. Now I am too weak to stop. I do have faith in Allah. I don’t want to be a bad muslim because of something that I’m not in control of. You may not understand if you haven’t been through it. There’s no way for you to say whether it is haram or not. 

First, welcome to the forum! It would be great if you would introduce yourself.

I totally agree with Cubster ^. I'd just add: This does not make you a bad Muslim. It just means that you have to struggle to overcome this. We all have struggles, and they make us stronger in the end - so long as we confront them head-on. 

I would definitely second Cubster's advice that you seek professional help. A therapist can help you, and there are also many support groups for people with eating disorders. If it's been going on for four years now, you really need to break this.

I wish you the best in your journey. Though we are just meeting you, know that we are here to support you.

So... I've wanted to join a muslim forum aimed at young people since its Ramadhan to get a bit closer to my faith... Before I joined I had a bit of a browse of Maniac Muslim, I liked it - then I saw this thread.

As someone currently suffering from bulimia, naturally this caught my attention when I was having a browse. I just wanted you to know this thread has just made me really upset. I know this thread was created a while ago, but the amount of jokes and insensitive comments people have posted is frankly ridiculous.

I get that people are unaware and ignorant about  this issue - but trust me - it really is an issue in our communities. Western or not. And why should we shame people who have this mental health problem by saying its haraam? This forum seems fairly active - do you honestly believe every single member has not suffered from mental health issues? Do you honestly believe that no member would of ever starved themselves, or purged, or even self harmed?

Let me tell you one thing - Ramadhan is extremely difficult for someone with an eating disorder. And eating disorders don't just go away, they aren't just a phase and people do need help to recover. Bulimia is so very easy to hide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1GeB52JxQ&t=1130s - This is a brilliant video which brings light to the situation.

I don't think I'll be becoming an active part of this community unfortunately because of this thread. But I really hope my reply will help people just think before they post especially about sensitive issues like this.

On 5/3/2018 at 11:07 PM, Yasmin said:

Hi, if you'd like to have a chat feel free to PM me - I've been bulimic on/off for 13 years, and its definitely not just about the fact it'll make you thin (majority of time bulimia doesn't!). You are not a bad muslim and you are going through a mental illness - you wouldn't say someones a bad muslim because they can't stand up and pray because they've broken a leg. It's the same concept.

Hope your ok and ramadhan is going well - I'm finding it difficult this year.

@blueandpurple

Sorry if this thread distressed you. While I am personally highly skeptical of psychiatry as a practice (or indeed, being labelled as a branch of medicine despite no objective validation), most of this thread is nearly 14 years old and was written at a time before there was as much information on the internet as there is today.

I don't think anyone here was belittling people who have struggles like yours, rather they were just unaware of the struggle itself. 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:51 PM, Mo- said:

@blueandpurple

Sorry if this thread distressed you. While I am personally highly skeptical of psychiatry as a practice (or indeed, being labelled as a branch of medicine despite no objective validation), most of this thread is nearly 14 years old and was written at a time before there was as much information on the internet as there is today.

I don't think anyone here was belittling people who have struggles like yours, rather they were just unaware of the struggle itself. 

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I understand that however the thread upset me and so I felt like I should speak out.

Out of curiosity (I'm not trying to antagonise you - I'm just curious) if you're skeptical of psychiatry how would you suggest someone with an eating disorder or another mental illness should get help?

On 5/14/2019 at 2:08 AM, blueandpurple said:

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I understand that however the thread upset me and so I felt like I should speak out.

Out of curiosity (I'm not trying to antagonise you - I'm just curious) if you're skeptical of psychiatry how would you suggest someone with an eating disorder or another mental illness should get help?

I think counselling (that is talking to someone) can be effective (it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist, it could be a religious figure, a mentor or even just a friend), along with taking little steps everyday to try and become the person you want to be are the most effective steps to achieving any change in behavior, lifestyle or feeling. The second part is easier said than done, but even something as simple as building up a habit like reading books on the train can help you achieve this. 

I hope you stick around the forum - it is quite dead now, but we have fun discussions from time to time.

Just wanted to chime in and say, religious figures are no substitute for properly trained psychiatrists.

8 hours ago, Haku said:

Just wanted to chime in and say, religious figures are no substitute for properly trained psychiatrists.

Most psychiatry is quackery. 

When people equivocate psychiatry with medicine or try to put it as a field of medicine we end up with outcomes like this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/07/nhs-transgender-clinic-accused-covering-negative-impacts-puberty/

Previous such outcomes included lobotomies, chemical castration of people with homosexual tendencies and the classification of runaway slaves as being mentally ill.

Talk therapy may work because it is patient led, but there is no need for a psychiatrist to be involved. You don’t need training to know how to talk to someone, you need empathy. 

If alot of psychiatry is in its experimental stage, and people are actively documenting outcomes, I am not sure it's right to call it quackery. 

13 minutes ago, superman said:

If alot of psychiatry is in its experimental stage, and people are actively documenting outcomes, I am not sure it's right to call it quackery. 

The experiments can never be objective because they rely on subjective observations and self reporting. There has been no physical evidence whatsoever for the vast majority of psychiatry.

Unlike for physical disease, there is no biopsy for any purported mental health disorder. You cannot objectively test for depression or anxiety like you can for cancer or bacterial infection. 

Hippocrates relied on the description of humor imbalances to describe illness. Anyone who would base treatment on such claims today would be called a quack. Today psychiatrists talk about ‘chemical imbalance’ in the brain (without ever having validated such claims). I think calling a duck a duck is appropriate here. 

25 minutes ago, Mo- said:

The experiments can never be objective because they rely on subjective observations and self reporting. There has been no physical evidence whatsoever for the vast majority of psychiatry.

Unlike for physical disease, there is no biopsy for any purported mental health disorder. You cannot objectively test for depression or anxiety like you can for cancer or bacterial infection. 

Hippocrates relied on the description of humor imbalances to describe illness. Anyone who would base treatment on such claims today would be called a quack. Today psychiatrists talk about ‘chemical imbalance’ in the brain (without ever having validated such claims). I think calling a duck a duck is appropriate here. 

An experiment is not invalid just because it relies on subjective data. As long as you can make reasonable assumptions to make sense of the data.

The number of likes and dislikes on a YouTube video stems from a subjective experience - you're not seriously telling me that Google doesn't find such data valuable

3 minutes ago, superman said:

An experiment is not invalid just because it relies on subjective data. As long as you can make reasonable assumptions to make sense of the data.

The number of likes and dislikes on a YouTube video stems from a subjective experience - you're not seriously telling me that Google doesn't find such data valuable

Likes and dislikes objectively inform you how the audience that left a response responded to a certain video. The data is then subjectively interpreted (did they enjoy it due to the content, cinematography, etc.), but the data itself is universally understood.

That is completely false analogy when it comes to psychiatry. In psychiatric diagnoses, there are NO objective measures whatsoever. At YouTube, a like will be registered as a like, no matter what. In the psychiatric profession, a psychiatrist makes a judgement on whether or not someone suffers from a purported disorder. 

In reality, there is little difference between a Buzzfeed quiz on which Game of Thrones character you are and a psychiatric assessment for depression. 

Why is it that psychiatry is not held to the same standards as oncology, rheumatology, cardiology, etc.? Diagnoses in these fields are replicable between professionals following multiple tests and biopsies. With psychiatry you may as well roll a die.

In my previous post I was saying that you can get objective metrics from subjective data and that such metrics can be useful. This is how I imagine research in psychiatry is done.

For example:

A like / dislike ratio is an objective metric.

The number of patients who scored 10 on a pain scale is an objective metric.

1 hour ago, Mo- said:

3 minutes ago, superman said:

In my previous post I was saying that you can get objective metrics from subjective data and that such metrics can be useful. This is how I imagine research in psychiatry is done.

For example:

A like / dislike ratio is an objective metric.

The number of patients who scored 10 on a pain scale is an objective metric.

Both of those things rely on something tangible though (besides the second is subjective FYI and only really used for triage). 

A like/dislike ratio is the result of people hitting buttons on their devices. Pain is the result of signals being sent to your brain, with the cause being able to be narrowed down and diagnosed. There is always physical counterpart to pain.